PDA

View Full Version : Just opened pool for spring, test result questions

Beachnut_PA
04-26-2006, 10:39 AM
I just had my pool opened and my test results are surprising to me. I am located in Valley Forge, PA. When the cover was removed the water temp was 56. By the end of the day, it was 60. This will be my second season with the pool. I have the PS233 test kit which I ordered last summer. Here are the numbers:

FC 8
CC 0
TC the Taylor daily tester turned orange - I tried it twice
pH 7.2
Alk 110
Cal I put 60 drops in the test vial - the water stayed clear
CYA 50 to 60

There was a floating chlorine dispenser in the pool over the winter; that is the only way I can explain the relatively high level of chlorine. I was under the impression that I should shock the pool right away after taking the cover off, but with my chlorine level so high I am not sure what to do. What do you think about the daily test kit turning orange when the DPD test show 8? I did do the DPD test twice and the result was 8 each time (16 drops).

What do you think about my Calcium Hardness test? Is it possible that my test solution is old and should be replaced?

Thanks for any help you folks can give me.

Doug

duraleigh
04-26-2006, 01:27 PM
Hi, Doug,

I think your in good shape. How does your water look?

Your Cl level is not too high. I see no reason to shock.

With a CC of 0, there's not much for shocking to do.

The daily test is fine turning orange....it only goes to five ppm, right?

Review your test method for CH. Water should've been red, then turn blue. Never clear unless you have ZERO calcium.

In summary, If your water looks good, you're in good shape. I think you misinterpreted some instructions on the CH test.:) :)

Beachnut_PA
04-26-2006, 03:08 PM
Thanks for your response, Dave. I was amazed at how good and clear the water looked when I took the cover off.

I will review my test method for CH. You are right, the water turned red, then clear after about 20 drops and stayed clear. I'll drop off a sample at the dealer tomorrow just to be safe.

After all the 'green swamp' stories I have read on these forums, I had expected our pool to look at least a little funky. I'm certainly not complaining.

Doug

Beachnut_PA
04-26-2006, 06:17 PM
I guess I should have mentioned that this is an IG, 30k gallon pool.

I just did another CH test and the water turned slightly blue at 50 drops of the R-0012 stuff. When I did my test yesterday, I was putting the top on the test container and mixing to try and speed the process at 20 drops and every ten after that. I just swirled after each drop this time. I will still have the water tested by the dealer tomorrow.

Thanks again and happy swimming.

mizzouguy
04-27-2006, 02:55 PM
I have the same problem with my test....it's pretty clear, but maybe a hint of a very very light blue around the bottom of the tester. It is my understanding that this should be really blue. I'm going to had some calcium to try and raise it 50ppm to see if I see this blue that is suppose to show up. If it does, then I'll assume I had 0 calcium......

conductor500
04-28-2006, 12:28 AM
I just opened my pool also and was pleased to see it was crystal clear as well. All I did was add a gallon of bleach when I closed it up for the winter. I do not have a quality test kit yet but the one I do have has my levels as follows (27' AG)

TC 3
ph 7.2
akl 110-120
cya Out of drops will post back later.

should my chlorine be higher??

I was under the impression there would be alot of work to do to my pool when I opened it up in the spring.

duraleigh
04-28-2006, 07:18 AM
Hi, Conductor,

If your CYA tests around 30 or less, 3ppm for Cl is okay. If CYA test higher, I would run my FC level correspondingly higher. (search "best guess" on this forum)

I was under the impression there would be alot of work to do to my pool when I opened it up in the spring.
Please come to my house this weekend. I am replacing a large liner and I want you to get rid of all that spare time you have!! :D :D

Beachnut_PA
04-28-2006, 08:32 AM
The pool store test results were similar to mine except pH and Alk. His test showed pH = 8.0 and Alk = 80. His recommendation was to put over 13 pounds of stuff in the water (pH down and some type of stabilizer) to fix this "problem". I pulled out the test kit as soon as I got home from work yesterday and verified that my pH = 7.2 and Alk = 100 (down slightly). The fact that this guy could give me these bogus recommendations with a straight face really sucks.

I was skeptical of the advice given on this site when I first got here last year, but it's true. I still have a hard time believing these pool store folks can be so underhanded about something that is such a large investment for most of us.

Thanks for the advice Dave - sorry no time to help with your liner this weekend.

And good luck to mizzouguy and conductor.

duraleigh
04-28-2006, 08:55 AM
Yeah, I was somewhat skeptical at first...as I am of almost everything nowadays. (I know that's not a word:) ). The "common sense" quotient on this forum is just to dominant to ignore, tho.

I would like to think the pool store folks are not devious, but sloppy. I think they're careless with their tests and, of course, erring on the side of selling you something works out to their advantage as well. :)

conductor500
04-28-2006, 05:35 PM
I have looked at a couple differant pool stores and no luck on finding the CYA reagent. I am going to order the kit off this site since I have been attending school here. The one store stopped short of telling me that the CYA was not important (maybe I was just reading too uch into it.) It would seem a "pool store" would have all supplies on hand this time of year. Anyway,since my pool has been exposed for 24 hrs. my ch. is dropping ( istill havent added anything as of yet) Ph stable at 7.2 and alk is still at 120. My next "Q" is I will leaving for 4 weeks and I am going to put the solar cover on untill I get back and wanted to know how much I should raise my Ch. before I leave?
My wife will be here to keep check on it while I am gone. Since I don't know my CYA levels will this be a problem?
Hey Dave, about that liner. If you live in Atlanta I will be there for 4 weeks come monday:)
Thanks for the schooling guys.
Tim
P.S. My pool is a 27' AG. Is that 16,500 gal? Need to know for use of the handy dandy bleach cal.

bmgo
04-29-2006, 01:14 AM
I am also am amazed at the bogus advice given but the POOL GUYS.
Even "Dumb Luck" seems better

conductor500
04-29-2006, 11:15 AM
Ok, Just got my CYA from the pool store.
Here are my readins..

CL. 3
Ph 7.4
alk. 110
CYA 90

I found this pool store owner very helpful. She did say my CYA was a little higher than it should be and that the only way to lower it was to drain a little and add more water. But she didn't seem overly concerned about it.

Watermom
04-29-2006, 11:35 AM
Your cya reading is higher than I like and like the pool lady said, the only way to lower it is to do a partial drain. I like my cya reading to be between 30-40. If you decide not to do a partial drain, you can live with cya of 90, but you'll just have to run higher than normal chlorine levels as a result to avoid an algae bloom. See the chart at the following link. Ph and alk look good.

http://www.poolforum.com/pf2/showthread.php?t=365

Watermom

conductor500
04-29-2006, 10:57 PM
One thing the pool lady said was that CYA at high levels has been known to possibly cause some health effects. Any truth to that? I live in Ky and supposedly the public pools are not allowed to use the stabilizer. CYA

Tim

aylad
05-01-2006, 08:07 AM
With a CYA of 90, a chlorine level of 3 isn't going to be enough--you need to up it to at least 5.

Janet