PDA

View Full Version : What test kit will measure chlorine levels above 5ppm?

Tillysaint
10-13-2007, 02:26 PM
I searched the forums and couldn't find an answer to my question. I'm using the BBB process.

Ben's Best Guess CYA Chart recommends "Shock" FC levels from 10ppm to 25 ppm. My test kit measures up-to 5ppm. Since kit documentation (instructions, kit contents, etc.) is lacking in regard to maximum CL measured, it appears that the ones I find on the web (Taylor, etc) "seem" to go only to 5ppm.

I looked at Ben's test kit & couldn't determine the max CL measured. I guess it's does 10-25ppm. Since Ben is not taking orders at this time, can someone recommend kits that can measure these high CLs?

(BTW, may present test kit measures most other things like CYA but not CL>5.)

Thanks!!!

waste
10-13-2007, 03:07 PM
You can get a Taylor 2006 kit (FAS DPD) which has the same range as Ben's kit. Duraliegh is selling a kit quite similar to Ben's, I'd imagine that if you talk to him (he's a member here) he'd be more than happy to 'hook you up' with what you need.:)

CarlD
10-13-2007, 03:20 PM
Yeah, there are at least 3:
1) Taylor Technology's K-2006 or K-2006-C (larger amounts of test chems)
2) Leslies On-line: FAS-DPD Chlorine Service Test Kit.
3) TroubleFreePools.com--their test kit.

They are all similar to Ben's kit, and all will serve you well.

The chlorine test is the FAS-DPD test. You use it to measure Free Chlorine (the good stuff) from 0.5ppm to 50ppm, or from 0.2ppm to 50ppm (uses 2.5x as much test chem). Then you use it to measure Combined Chlorine (the bad stuff). You add the two to get Total Chlorine (which is what your regular test kit measures).