PDA

View Full Version : Safety Rope

crosso
04-26-2006, 10:02 AM
I just had a 18 x 36 inground vinyl liner pool installed. My pool builder forgot to install the safety rope holders. When I asked about it. He said that the holders are installed in the concrete decking, not in the pool walls and that it is usally a tripping hazard, so most people don't install them. My question is are they really supposed to be installed in the decking or on the pool walls?

JohnT
04-26-2006, 10:40 AM
They usually go through the coping. Your pool builder would be strung up and quartered in court if he was ever sued. The guys that put mine in were very firm that the safety rope and diving signs be in place when they left.

rferrel1
04-26-2006, 10:53 AM
I am a newbie lurker here but - last week I had the opportunity to attend a video conference on recreational water safety. Although the seminar was targeted at public water safety issues, the vast majority of drownings nationwide occur in private pools/water and one of the big things they mentioned was not having the safety rope up so that people knew where a drop off was - even experienced swimmers can become disoriented when they are caught off guard by a sudden change in depth.

crosso
04-26-2006, 11:38 AM
The pool is finished. He has to come back to install my safety net. If I have him install the pool rope correctly, will I be at a greater risk for a leak since he would be installing it after the fact?

MarkC
04-26-2006, 11:52 AM
My safety rope anchors are in the wall of the pool slightly below the tile.

MarkC
04-26-2006, 11:53 AM
I forgot to mention my pool is concrete. If I had vinyl I would not want them below the water line, just one more place for a leak.

JohnT
04-26-2006, 01:31 PM
The pool is finished. He has to come back to install my safety net. If I have him install the pool rope correctly, will I be at a greater risk for a leak since he would be installing it after the fact?

In my vinyl pool, they are mounted well above the water line at the top of the coping, but they are anchored in the deck concrete.

crosso
04-26-2006, 02:31 PM
Thank you all for your help. If anyone can post a picture of their pool (where the rope is anchored), I would be very greatful.

Thanks again

hsdancer
04-27-2006, 09:22 AM
We have a vinyl liner pool and put our safety rope anchors into the coping above where the liner fits in. You can't tell from the photo, but the liner bead is well below where the anchor fits. The anchors are standard.

We've only built our own pool, but I think you or your builder should be able to get a drill bit that will drill through the coping and into your decking material -- no holes in the liner.

crosso
04-27-2006, 09:47 AM
Thank you so much for the picture.

ChristopherS64
04-27-2006, 09:54 AM
My inground vinyl linner pool has the rope anchors installed as shown in picture.