PDA

View Full Version : Sold blood to buy bleach

spcchap
10-04-2007, 04:29 PM
I am dumping 4 gallons of bleach in my pool every weekend. My water is clear and looks great, but my tester does not change color. It is a real cheap tester from Lowe's -- only checks pH and chlorine. I am not adding anything but bleach. Funny thing is, the pH has been perfect ever since I opened the pool -- without ever adding an pH increaser.

The tester should show yellow for the chlorine. If I throw a couple drops of bleach directly in the tester it turns yellow. Do I need to bite the bullet and dump like 20 gallons in all at once to shock it??

Thanks! Sorry I don't have an elaborate kit like y'all do. I am going to buy one before next season! As it is now, I just want to get my chems right, because I want to close my pool this month. I have so many trees around my pool that if I wait too late, I'm dead.

aylad
10-04-2007, 05:41 PM
I wouldn't dump 20 gallons of bleach in your pool without knowing more about the pool. Can you take a water sample into a local pool store and have them test for Cl, pH, Alk, and CYA? (And CH if a plaster pool). If you'll post those numbers, along with how many gallons your pool holds (or its dimensions), we'll be happy to help you figure out how much to add to shock it. Also, do you have a SWG?

Janet

Sumo1
10-05-2007, 01:34 PM
Lincoln Aquatics has Taylor test kits on sale @lincolnaquatics.com.
Hal

sewzhmkr
04-27-2008, 11:10 PM
Sumo1...

I have thought about purchasing from lincoln aquatics but wondered how good the company is. Has anyone bought from them before. Thanks in advance for replies.

chem geek
04-28-2008, 01:22 AM
You can get a Taylor K-2006 kit for a good price online here (https://asp5.secure-shopping.com/spspools/details.asp?prodid=1259&cat=1200&path=).

The Taylor K-2006 kit from Lincoln is here (http://www.lincolnaquatics.com/shop/catalog/Taylor+Test+Kits%2C+Meters+%26+Parts/product.html?ProductID=23%2D041) and apparently on sale for essentially the same price as the SPS first link I gave above. [EDIT] It's no longer on sale -- gee, that was awfully short! [END-EDIT]

Richard

aylad
04-28-2008, 08:45 PM
Sumo1...

I have thought about purchasing from lincoln aquatics but wondered how good the company is. Has anyone bought from them before. Thanks in advance for replies.

Due to the age of this thread, you might get more replies if you consider starting a new thread with this question....

Janet

Sumo1
05-12-2008, 07:21 PM
sewzhmkr, sorry it took so long to reply. I don't always make it to the computer in a regular fashion:o . I've bought several items from Lincoln Aquatics and have been thoroughly pleased. They've also been very helpful when I've called with a question.
Hal