PDA

View Full Version : Sand on bottom and water is dull (not sparkling)?

mjs31
10-01-2007, 11:27 AM
I have vacuumed the sand a couple of times now (not back into the filter) and it comes back. I am pretty sure this is a sandfilter issue. However, my water is also what I would call semi cloudy or dull. Could it be that small particles of sand from the filter is causing this? I have shocked without that helping but am trying again.

PH - 7.4
Chlorine - at shock level now. Typically keep it at 4-5
Bad Chlorine - 0
Stabilizer- 50
Alk - 90

I dont see any type of algie or anything similar, just sand. The sand is also mainly around the outer section of the 24' round pool. Basically the direction the return is blowing out.

JohnT
10-01-2007, 01:03 PM
The cloudiness is probably due to your filter not working right. Damaged laterals in the filter are a likely culprit.

mjs31
10-01-2007, 01:15 PM
The cloudiness is probably due to your filter not working right. Damaged laterals in the filter are a likely culprit.

Thanks John. Now I have a dilemma. I plan on getting a new pentair sand filter, but do I wait or get it now? I am wondering if I need to clear the water up before winterizing of can it wait.

aylad
10-01-2007, 02:06 PM
Thanks John. Now I have a dilemma. I plan on getting a new pentair sand filter, but do I wait or get it now? I am wondering if I need to clear the water up before winterizing of can it wait.

If you have broken laterals in your filter (or anything else wrong with it that's letting the sand blow back), it's only going to get worse until you replace or fix it. I'd say that if you're planning to close your pool for the winter and are finished swimming in it now, wait until the spring to install your new filter and open with it. If you're going to leave the pool open throughout the winter, go ahead and get the new filter now, then clean up the sand in the pool.

Janet

mjs31
10-01-2007, 02:20 PM
If you have broken laterals in your filter (or anything else wrong with it that's letting the sand blow back), it's only going to get worse until you replace or fix it. I'd say that if you're planning to close your pool for the winter and are finished swimming in it now, wait until the spring to install your new filter and open with it. If you're going to leave the pool open throughout the winter, go ahead and get the new filter now, then clean up the sand in the pool.

Janet

Thanks. I will probably just close it up for now.

mjs31
10-09-2007, 02:55 PM
I am not sure it is sand any more. Although it looks like it, it is extremely fine so if I touch it with a brush it dissolves only to come back again. I have been running my pool in bypass for the last 24 hours and no sign of this deposit. I then added a bunch of walmart brand bleach this morning and when I looked at it after 3 hours the residue was coming back on the bottom. I have always used the same bleach without this issue, but I am starting to wonder if it is coming from it. Does anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks

aylad
10-09-2007, 06:24 PM
Are you using plain, unscented bleach? Not the new and improved Clorox with the added ingredients? Any chance that it's either pollen from a nearby tree, or sand from nearby construction or dirt roads? Also you say that you've had the filter on bypass with no residue....when you added the bleach, did you switch it back to filter? That to me would still point toward a lateral problem.

Janet

mjs31
10-09-2007, 10:55 PM
Are you using plain, unscented bleach? Not the new and improved Clorox with the added ingredients? Any chance that it's either pollen from a nearby tree, or sand from nearby construction or dirt roads? Also you say that you've had the filter on bypass with no residue....when you added the bleach, did you switch it back to filter? That to me would still point toward a lateral problem.

Janet

Hi. Regular unscented bleach and I kept it in bypass. I am wondering if when I pour in the bleach it is bringing small particles to the bottom of the pool with it? May be pollen or something similar. Not quite sure what it is. I touch it with a brush and it dissapears, but it will come back.