PDA

View Full Version : do you need to turn off SWG when adding chemicals

jbirdy
04-26-2006, 07:39 AM
Quick question, do I need to turn off my SWG when I add any chemicals? i.e. stabilizer, alk. increaser, or even salt? My SWG is hooked into my pump which I run 24/7. Thanks for any help!!

mwsmith2
04-26-2006, 07:50 AM
Not really. Only time I'd turn it off if I was adding something through the skimmer, like baking soda. Chances are with a SWC, you won't be adding borax. Stabilizer is fine.

You run your pump 24/7, eh? Mmmmmmk.

Michael

jbirdy
04-26-2006, 07:57 AM
Yes, I run in all the time (new to this, pool just finished in Feb.) I'm a little concerned that if I don't run it, the SWG is not running and it's not doing it's job, Hummm, crazy? Oh, and while on the subject, how often do you shock with your SWG? Like I said, this is all new to me!!

mwsmith2
04-26-2006, 08:12 AM
I don't shock with the SWC, mainly because it decreases cell life. All the "shock" thing does is run your cell at 100% power for 24 hours. I'd rather use bleach if I had to shock, because it's cheaper in the long run.

However, with that said, I haven't had to shock my pool in the almost 2 years I've had my SWC. The only time you need to shock is with an algae bloom (hasn't happened) or your are showing > 1 CC (no CC since the SWC install).

I run mine 6 hours a day...that's it. All you really need to do is to turn the water over in the pool twice daily and you're good to go. For instance if you have a 10,000g pool, and your pump can do around 28 gpm, then 6 hours is close enough. (10000/(28*60)=6)

Michael

jbirdy
04-26-2006, 08:43 AM
Thanks so much for you info. I think I am getting over obsessive about doing everything by the book. and, the more I read the more obsessive I get! The pool guy said always shock every 2-3 weeks regardless. I shocked with my SWG yesterday, just because I thought it was time (or so that's what he led me to believe). I also added salt, because my SWG read low salt after shock (we have had lots, and lots of rain), I added 40 lbs. My pool was finished in Feb. and they added 400 lbs. of salt 3 weeks ago for start up.

mwsmith2
04-26-2006, 09:01 AM
Yeah, people who tell you to shock every 2-3 weeks without testing are idiots. If you don't have either of the problems I mentioned above, then there's simply no need to shock, other than to wear out your cell faster, or spend money on shock.

How big is your pool?

Michael

Rockman59
04-26-2006, 11:28 AM
jbirdy said: I also added salt, because my SWG read low salt after shock
__________________________________________________ _______________
Before adding salt you should double check your salt reading because the SWG read out my not be correct. I use test strips and also have a local pool store give me a read with their hand held guage. There will usually be some variance between test readings...but you should have a pretty good idea of the salt content by using all three readings.

jbirdy
04-26-2006, 11:28 AM
My pool is 16 X 34 and is 3 1/2 - 6 ft deep vinyl liner

mphare
05-01-2006, 03:21 PM
I run mine 6 hours a day...that's it. All you really need to do is to turn the water over in the pool twice daily and you're good to go. For instance if you have a 10,000g pool, and your pump can do around 28 gpm, then 6 hours is close enough. (10000/(28*60)=6)

OK, help me with your math..

It looks like 6 hours is enough to turn the pool over only once, not twice.

What am I missing?

sleater
05-02-2006, 10:32 PM
I'd rather use bleach if I had to shock, because it's cheaper in the long run.

theres no issue with using bleach in a swg pool?