PDA

View Full Version : Any ideas how to remove this fitting from pool?

Timmy
09-13-2007, 07:30 PM
http://i66.photobucket.com/albums/h252/mack454/Poolfitting.jpg

I have 3 returns I need to plug. One of them in the stairs I do not have an issue with. For the other two I have plugs with male threads on them. The fitting above is the part that screws into the wall, then the eyeball and outer ring screw onto this.

Any advice how to remove this? I have tried with one of those rubber strap wrenches and had no luck. The amount of threads sticking out of the wall is small, so it is tough to grab a hold of. I would think those 2 indents (you can see 1 in the above pic, the other is on the opposite side) have something to do with removing them maybe. Special tool?

Thanks in advance.

JohnT
09-13-2007, 09:02 PM
I use a pair of needle nose pliers. Just spread them out so the points go into the notches.

Timmy
09-13-2007, 09:05 PM
I use a pair of needle nose pliers. Just spread them out so the points go into the notches.

Thanks for the advice.

I actually tried that after I posted and did not have any luck. The pair I used though were a little small. I have a larger pair I have to dig up, hopefully give me a little more leverage. I was also out of the pool, so it was a little tougher. Will try this weekend in the pool. Thanks again

CarlD
09-14-2007, 12:15 AM
I hesitate to recommend the following, which would be the way something stuck like that would be removed.

Normally, I'd say take a cold chisel and put it on the inside and whack it with a hammer to drive it--but one slip and you'll damage your liner.

If the through-wall fitting is accessible from the outside, you may just want to lower water below it, and remove the entire thing, then remove the fixed part of the eyeball. I'm assuming you can't get slip-jaw pump pliers on it.

You may try to drive a large socket like a spark-plug wrench with hexagon points on the outside straight into it, then just unscrew it that way.

In any case, plan on the piece you are removing being a throw-away.

Poconos
09-14-2007, 12:16 AM
I thought I had a pic of the tool I made and if I find it I'll post it. It's nothing more than a piece of aluminum plate maybe 1/8" thick and a few inches long that I cut and filed to the right width to fit in the inside grooves. Stick it in and use a pair of pliers for leverage. I'd be careful with the needle nose that you don't slip and cut the liner.
Al

Timmy
09-14-2007, 07:42 AM
Thanks guys.

I do not have access from the outside. I love the idea about the piece of metal that slips in there though. I have some decent scrap metal in the garage and will go that route.

And Carl, I agree with your statement about the piece being a throw away. I already purchased a couple of these figuring my patience would not hold up and I would end up breaking it. :)

Timmy
09-15-2007, 12:27 PM
Made the piece this morning and it worked like a charm. Thanks!

Poconos
09-15-2007, 04:47 PM
Nice to hear of a simple solution. Thanks for the feedback.
Al

CarlD
09-16-2007, 08:51 AM
Yup, it's great to hear an idea worked...I was in Home Depot yesterday and saw a set of plumbing wrenches that looked like spark-plug wrenches.

They came in several sizes and I thought SURELY one of these could be jammed into the insert and used to remove--they are all 6-pointed.

There are a number of plumbing wrenches that work from the inside...It just occurs to me that I have 19mm and larger hex wrenches (Motorcycle axle wrenches) that would work as well.

Still, it's all the same idea and you solved it with something similar.

"I love it when a plan comes together!"

waste
09-16-2007, 07:09 PM
Almost posted last night, but couldn't find the link I wanted - I thought the thread was done, but as it's not...

There is a tool specificly made to remove the 'seats' it is a SP-1419-T 'seat removal tool' It costs < $4. While being able to make a similar tool at home is cool and economical, not everyone has the material or 'know-how' to do it.

For those that can't 'homebrew' one up, go to the pool store and get a SP-1419-T ... there is a hole at the top to put a screwdriver through to increase torque or you can lock onto it with a wrench.

I'm not trying to sell anything for Hayward, but the 1419T is a real timesaver for me at this time of year:D

ctwine
09-16-2007, 09:34 PM
Just confirming the previous post. There is a tool for removing these available at dedicated pool stores, meaning those stores that provide pool construction, parts, accessories, etc. It's a small rectangular plastic piece that slides right into the slots of the fitting. Hope this helps!

waterbear
09-17-2007, 05:15 AM
The special tool that waste talked about is really a must to have. We sell a lot of them where I work.