PDA

View Full Version : Is there a cover that will protect my chlorine but not heat the water?

subedoo
09-11-2007, 04:12 PM
My pool is closed now for the winter but I thought I'd post this question to prepare better for next summer.

I like the pool water to be on the cool side -- anywhere from 74 to 80 degrees is perfect for me. For that reason, I don't like to use a solar cover because it warms the water too much. But, I realize the value it has toward protecting my chlorine. There was a time this summer where the days were 95 - 100 degrees and my pool received full sun. I was replacing water due to evaporation, which diluted my CYA, which caused a huge increase in chlorine consumption which I tried to abate by using the solar cover which just made my water temperature soar to 90 plus degrees! For a week or so, I was covering the pool during day and uncovering it at night. There wasn't a whole lot of swimming going on because it was just too darn hot.

I was wondering if those floating mesh ring things would do a good job of protecting the chlorine yet not warming up the water?

Any other ideas?