PDA

View Full Version : New indoor pool - what kind of heating?

Rbrenton
09-11-2007, 02:43 PM
Friend is in final stages of planning for a new indoor fiberglass setup. The install contractor stated that a true gas heater isn't required, as he can make use of a heat pump instead.

My question is, is that correct? Any recommendations on brand or type? Is a heater needed at all?

JohnT
09-11-2007, 03:05 PM
Friend is in final stages of planning for a new indoor fiberglass setup. The install contractor stated that a true gas heater isn't required, as he can make use of a heat pump instead.

My question is, is that correct? Any recommendations on brand or type? Is a heater needed at all?

He'll no doubt want a heater. The pool won't get any solar gain, so it will be cold otherwise. A heat pump is an excellent choice. He might also consider solar panels on the roof over the pool if the climate is appropriate. They are cheap heat.

Rbrenton
09-11-2007, 03:47 PM
Is a heat pump the same thing as a heat exchanger? I'm not sure how these work.

cleancloths
09-11-2007, 05:02 PM
You can think of a heatpump as a central airconditioner running in reverse. An airconditioner absorbs heat from the room and dumps it outside, hence cooling the room. A heat pump absorbs heat from the outside air and dumps it into the pool, thereby heating the pool. They typically have a COP of about 5-6 which means for each unit of electricity you put in you get 5 to 6 units of heat out. Much more economical than gas or propane heat.