PDA

View Full Version : Pump problem

ksturge
09-05-2007, 11:07 AM
I found my pump not working last Friday. I reset all the electrical and tried to turn on the filter. It makes a groaning sound for about 3 seconds and then nothing. The pump is a Jacuzzi Magnetek 2HP (1.10 SF 2 SPD). I have a 30,000 gallon in ground pool with 500 gallon attached spa. Should I just order a new pump from an online pool store or is there something else I can check? Thank you.

sammm
09-05-2007, 01:19 PM
Sounds like what mine did a few weeks ago. Ran for a minute (making a racket) and then tripped the breaker. I think a bearing went out, so I just replaced it. I have a 2HP too and figured a new (more efficient) motor couldn't hurt.

ksturge
09-05-2007, 02:44 PM
So you just replaced the motor and not the pump? Did you do it yourself? Which one did you get?

sammm
09-05-2007, 04:01 PM
So you just replaced the motor and not the pump? Did you do it yourself? Which one did you get?

Correct. It's not hard to remove the motor (or shouldn't be). Turn the breaker off and remove the motor from the pump. You'll have to disco the electrical connections and ground from the motor as well. Mine is a square flange, so there are only 4 bolts holding the motor to the pump.
I took my old motor to my LPS and he matched a new one for me. He removed my impeller as well and transferred everything to the new one. There's also a pump seal that should be replaced at this time. I went to my local Leslie's and got a high-efficiency Emerson motor.