PDA

View Full Version : Clouds of tiny bugs on water surface

TX78539
08-29-2007, 09:25 PM
I am in Edinburg, TX (deep south TX) several weeks ago I noticed clouds of tiny specs floating on the pool surface. At first I thought it was particles from the composition roof of the house that got blown into the pool during rains. Trying to use the skimmer to collect them is not much help because 95 % flow through the mesh.

My son insisted that they were tiny bugs and after looking at the skimer with a magnifying glass sure enough they are tiny bugs maybe like fleas. There are so many they cover the water surface with tiny black or grey dots and often clump together in dime or nickle size odd shaped circles.

I've been cranking up the chlorine level (about 20ppm) and trying to skim out as many as I can, it seems like they come back after every rain storm. This has been an strange year with so much rain for us this summmer.

Has anyone else had this problem, I would be interested in hearing how others have dealt with this problem.

mbar
08-29-2007, 11:33 PM
I have had them in the past. Taking the chlorine level up will kill them, but they do come back. I found they never lasted too long. I just skimmed them out before I wanted to swim. I would notice them the most in the morning, and yes mostly in a rainy summer:rolleyes: The chlorine will kill them, but they may come back when the chlorine level drops - you can also put some algaecide in the water. DE will kill them too - but you don't want any DE in the water:( They usually go away on their own.:)

Poconos
08-30-2007, 12:42 AM
A few days ago here in Northeast PA I had a bunch of what looked like tiny flying ants. As fast as you could net them out, more would come in. Seemed to drown within seconds of hitting the water. Never saw anything like it. Lasted only one day. Luckily they didn't bite when they were alive.
Al

mbar
08-30-2007, 10:30 AM
I had those too Al:eek: They were all over my patio - they were all dead:D I remember it from last year too - it must be a hatching. They are starting to be fewer and far between now. The water fleas were different - they stayed alive in the water, and looked like black dust. Really gross! They went away too. Oh the wonders of living in the woods:rolleyes: Good thing bugs don't bother me too much - now dead animals in the pool are another story:(