PDA

View Full Version : Fafco 4x20 solar panel price ??

TRHOD12
08-27-2007, 05:15 AM
I've been reading a lote about the solar panels for heating the pool. I wanted to take advantage of George W 's tax break for energy conservation purchases, and have found Fafco 4x20 panels at my local pool store for $299.

Would you jump on this, or have you found them less expensive some place else.

Thanks for your help.

BLessings,
TRHOD12

Spensar
08-27-2007, 01:31 PM
Is that just the panels or is the system kit with it? costco.com has that amount of coverage with a system kit including delivery for $319.99.

joenj
08-27-2007, 06:20 PM
Are you sure George will pay for that? I think the credit is for the solar electric cells.

Joe

TRHOD12
08-28-2007, 06:10 AM
Spenc,

I think it is the full kit, but I'll have to check.

Joe

I thought I understood that any type of energy conserving measures (insulation, solar panels, etc) would qualify.

I'm not sure it matters now though, seems the septic system is going. So, I don't think the money I have for a rainy day is gonna go that far.

Blessings,

Sumo1
08-28-2007, 12:38 PM
A friend of mine has a great DIY solar system that I'm going to try to duplicate on my pool over the winter. He bought about 150' of black plastic irrigation tubing (about 1/2" or 3/4" dia.), tapped it into his return plumbing, and added a valve to open and close the flow. He cut a hole in the wall to run the tubing outside and the 150' or so lays on the roof above, picking up heat. It then runs back through the wall and into a return pipe. He says it easily lengthens his swimming season and in the summer, it dissipates heat when he runs the pumps at night. I've been running my system at night for 2 weeks and still have 90 deg. water. His pool's at 83! I know I won't have to spend $300 to do this. I only have a small roof area to work with but I can run the tubing in a big spiral to maximize efficiency. I don't have a place to set up 10' or 20' solar panels. I'll post results next spring.
Hal