PDA

View Full Version : If chlorine is kept at proper level, is shocking ever necessary?

Hubjeep
08-19-2007, 11:28 AM
Theoretically, should there ever be a need to shock a pool if the chlorine is kept at the proper level?

When my father took care of the pool he would check the auto chlorinater daily (adding tabs). We would go an entire summer with out shocking the pool and it would remain crystal clear.

Now that I maintain the pool (and neglect to add tabs sometimes), it seems as though even if the tester shows up yellow (chlorine) algae can still grow. Did he just add more chlorine than me?

BTW, PH is fine, it almost seemed like the pool was easier to keep clear when it was low though. :p

Thanks,
John

Watermom
08-19-2007, 12:31 PM
Theoretically, if chlorine is kept at the proper level, you never need to shock a pool. However, if you chlorinate exclusively with tabs, which I assume are trichlor, you are continuing to add cya which, over time build up to levels which require higher chlorine to keep algae at bay. I suspect this is what is happening in your pool. Even though your tester shows yellow, your cya level may be so high that you should actually be keeping your chlorine much higher than you are. We actually need a complete set of current water testing numbers to be able to help. Repost with numbers and somebody here can better advise you. We need FC, TC, Ph, alk, cya. Also tell us what type of pool and the volume.

Hubjeep
08-19-2007, 03:58 PM
Watermom,
thanks for the reply.

I stopped at Leslie's pool store for a water test. They said everything was fine and sold me a bottle of Ultra Bright. http://www.lesliespool.com/shopping/product/detailmain.jsp?itemID=8174&itemType=PRODUCT&iProductID=8174

I added about 20 ounces to the pool, the bottle says to let it filter for a few hours, then vac the pool. It is supposed to bring fine particles together that are too fine for the filter to trap.

The only numbers on the test sheet are:
Free available chlorine= 4 PPM
pH= 7.6
Total alkalinity= 100

It is a 25,000 gallon vinyl in-ground pool.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v222/Hubjeep/JU/PICT0006-2.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v222/Hubjeep/JU/PICT0007-2.jpg

aylad
08-19-2007, 04:30 PM
You need to determine your CYA level, then shock that pool! Keep it at shock level by testing and adding more chlorine 2-3 times daily until the water goes back to cloudy blue. Don't bother with the Ultra Bright--it's a waste of money right now. Just vac'ing the algae out won't completely get rid of it...you have to kill it first. You need chlorine, and lots of it.

Janet

Hubjeep
08-19-2007, 09:46 PM
You need to determine your CYA level, then shock that pool! Keep it at shock level by testing and adding more chlorine 2-3 times daily until the water goes back to cloudy blue. Don't bother with the Ultra Bright--it's a waste of money right now. Just vac'ing the algae out won't completely get rid of it...you have to kill it first. You need chlorine, and lots of it.
Janet

By chlorine do you mean shock powder, granular chlorine dumped directly into the pool, or just load the chlorineator with tabs?

Thanks,
John

Watermom
08-20-2007, 01:09 AM
Those are all forms of chlorine. We really need to know your cya reading. Those tabs are continually adding more and more cya and when you get too much, it can be a problem. Most of us here on the forum just use plain, unscented laundry bleach as our source of chlorine. What ingredients are in the shock powder and in the granular chlorine? I have a feeling one or both of them may be dichlor powder. It, too, will add more cya. Post as soon as you get that cya reading for us to look at.

AnnaK
08-20-2007, 09:14 AM
I have, for reasons beyond the scope of this particular question, used trichlor tabs in the autochlorinator for the past 8 weeks - nearly the entire season. My values have remained steady: FC=3, CC=0, pH=7.5, CYA~30-40. The pool is in full sun, there's a daily swimmer load of 3 dogs and 1 human for ~ 1.5 hours. We've had a lot of rain and I do have to top the water off a couple times a week; these factors may have contributed to the CYA level not rising in any appreciable way.

I've never had a CC reading and have not applied a shock treatment other than at startup and closing each season.

Anna

Hubjeep
08-20-2007, 12:29 PM
CYA is about 80, which was ideal according to the test strip :rolleyes: that the pool store used to test it. I added a couple bottles of regular liquid bleach as you suggested.

Those are all forms of chlorine. We really need to know your cya reading...

Watermom
08-20-2007, 01:32 PM
Around here, we don't think a cya level of 80 is fine, but you can compensate for it by just keeping your chlorine level high. (We actually recommend cya of 30-50.) But, at any rate, with a cya level of 80, you need to keep your chlorine level between 5-10 all the time, and whenever you need to shock it, you need to take it up to 20. While you are trying to clear the pool, test the water at least 2-3 times a day as Janet suggested above, and each time, add enough bleach to take the chlorine level back up to 20ppm. The key to killing algae is to sustain a high cl reading. If you let it yo-yo up and down, you will never get the water clear. In a 25,000 gallon pool, each 3 quart jug of 6% bleach will add just under 2 ppm of chlorine to your water. Also, run the pump 24/7 while you are working to clear it.

At this time, don't add anything else. The pool stores will tell you that you need a bunch of different products, but you don't. Just bleach. Take a look at the 2 stickied threads at the top of the algae forum. Those pics should convince you that bleach is all you need.

Keep us posted about how it is going. Any more questions -- ask away. Somebody around here will try and answer. Good luck.

JJParrish
08-20-2007, 09:17 PM
Hi Hubjeep,
I feel your pain! Last year (our first w/a pool) was a nightmare! BUT, Janet;) cleaned it up in NO TIME! We were very fortunate to find this site and the mods here were/are wonderful. They are patient and knowledgable and, together, I believe they can do anything with a pool! I don't think I read that anyone suggest you actually lower your CYA to the 30 to 50 range, but, they did kinda' mention it. That could be a big help to you?:D You would need less bleach, and to me, that is important dollar wise. I still consider myselef a newbie, but I just wanted you to know that you are in good hands. If you follow their instructions, your pool will be crystal clear in no time! Good luck, Joyce:).....btw, our pool still looks wonderful!

aylad
08-20-2007, 11:34 PM
Thank you, JJParish, for the kind words! Glad your pool is not giving you problems this year, and it's good to see you back!!

Janet

Hubjeep
08-28-2007, 11:30 PM
Thanks for the help everybody! It took less than two days to clear up after I used plain bleach. By day three it was crystal clear.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v222/Hubjeep/JU/IMG00085.jpg

Before:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v222/Hubjeep/JU/PICT0006-2.jpg

Watermom
08-29-2007, 04:14 PM
Looks great. That is a beautiful pool! Glad you got it cleared up. It is amazing what a little bleach can do, isn't it?