PDA

View Full Version : Metal stains around skimmers & light

KirstenHW
08-15-2007, 05:06 PM
I have rust stains around my 2 skimmers and the light on my vinyl inground. Vit C removed the stains last year in a test - never did the whole process. Would like to do so this year before I close, but I have 2 issues:

First, I think that the rust is coming from the wall panels. The liner was replaced 2 years ago - the original structure is from 1981. If it is the walls as I suspect, this will be an ongoing issue. I am concerned that the walls may be in danger.

Second, in the metal removal sticky by Marie, her instructions say to leave the fileter on circulate after putting in the ascorbic acid. That's not an option with my Hayward Perflex DE filter - what is the workaround for this?

Thanks all -

waste
08-15-2007, 06:51 PM
Kirsten, (you've been busy on the computer today, eh?;) ), what I know about metal stains has been mostly learned here, so I don't have much 'practical' experience with them.

#1 - the pool water shouldn't come in contact with the wall panels, but I know that it sometimes does. Using an epoxy putty can seal the joint which is allowing the water to get to the steel.

#2 - On the Perflex filters, the best way I can think of is to turn off the pump, plug the return(s), open the drain plug, remove the DE, and attach a hose to the drain opening going back into the pool. This is as close to 'bypassing' the filter nest as I've been able to come up with, and I won't guarantee that the fingers in the nest won't be exposed to the water:( . Or, you could completely take the filter out of the system - take the union apart, unscrew the adapter on the top of the pump and hook up a hose going back to the pool (**if you don't know jack about plumbing PVC, this would probably be a real PITA - but there are people here who could 'walk you through it'**)

Sorry to be a bearer of bad news today:mad: but perhaps something I've said in these 2 posts will inspire someone else to a better answer:cool:

mbar
08-15-2007, 11:39 PM
It would be fine to not put the filter on circulate - the reason to put it on circulate is just so that any of the ascorbic acid won't be filtered out. If it is a problem (you don't have ciruculate on your pump:)), then you would just keep it on filter and add more ascorbic acid if the stain is not gone in about 3 hours. All else remains the same as posted in the sitcky. If you have any other questions feel free to ask:)

KirstenHW
09-25-2007, 01:00 PM
Better late than never - thanks Waste & Marie!! Both of you were very helpful -