PDA

View Full Version : Stray Current??

adesalvo
08-10-2007, 01:01 AM
Here is a new one.

I have a 25,000 gal IG vinyl pool that is 6 years old. There is a noticable current flow, shock, electic tingle...what ever you want to call it when both feet are in the pool and you touch either the ladder or the aluminum coping.

There is a bond wire that goes all the way around the pool, and is attached to the underwater pool lights, connects with the ladders and is also conected with the pump. The pump sits is a cock, under the decking.

I had the electrician out, he rechecked all of the connections and was getting between 3 and 8 volts at the ladder and the coping.

The shocking continues even when all of the electrical equipment was disconnected. Also, the voltages were the lowest at the lights and motor.

He thinks that stay current from an underground cable or some other source is entering the pool. He offered to evaluate further.

If there is not a malfuntion with my equipment or connections, then is there any cause for conern?

Has anyone else ever heard of this?

JohnT
08-10-2007, 09:01 AM
I had the electrician out, he rechecked all of the connections and was getting between 3 and 8 volts at the ladder and the coping.

It sounds like the bond wire isn't connected well to the ladder or coping. If the bond wire was connected to everything, it would take an enormous current to see 8 volts between any two parts of the pool. Do you have a concrete deck? What was the other point he was using to measure voltage? You may want to call your utility company to check their connections in your area. They are probably familiar with stray voltage.

adesalvo
08-12-2007, 05:43 PM
I agree about the possibity of the bond wire, but the wire also attaches at the pump (it is in a crock under the deck) and the voltage is essentially 0 at the bond wire that I can test at the pump.

I tested it today with my voltmeter, I lead in the water and on lead on the concrete deck with a puddle of water....between 5 to 7 volts...

I will try to call the electric company and see what they have to say...

JohnT
08-13-2007, 09:53 AM
I agree about the possibity of the bond wire, but the wire also attaches at the pump (it is in a crock under the deck) and the voltage is essentially 0 at the bond wire that I can test at the pump.

I tested it today with my voltmeter, I lead in the water and on lead on the concrete deck with a puddle of water....between 5 to 7 volts...

I will try to call the electric company and see what they have to say...

My guess is that the rebar in the deck either wasn't connected to the bond wire or that corrosion of the rebar has caused the connection to fail. I don't know of a good solution.

First, find the source of the current and fix that. Defective well pumps are a common cause, but most any kind of defective or miswired electrical equipment, even a neighbor's equipment, can cause it. Also, poor grounding practices by your utility can cause stray voltage as well. Once you get that figured out, then you need to figure out why your bonding system didn't stop it from affecting the pool.

If you are in an area that has dairy farms, your power company will probably be familiar with the problem. Otherwise, you may not get any help from them even if it is their fault.