PDA

View Full Version : More Spiders

Jeffski
08-09-2007, 09:06 AM
Everyday I get about 20 dead spiders in the bottom of my pool. It's become part of my routine to jump in with goggles and skimmer (without pole) and clean them off the bottom of the pool. Kinda fun I guess, but if I didn't do this I would have to vacuum everyday to keep the pool bottom clean. Seems like they would float and be sucked in the skimmer, or get sucked into the drain, but they don't. They just pile up on the bottom in the deep end.

mbar
08-09-2007, 09:32 AM
I feel your pain:( I live in the woods, and always have dead spiders in the pool - live ones too (before they drown):eek: Also many other bugs, and the occasional dead rodent:rolleyes: I do have to vacuum everyday - I have a white fiberglass pool, Thank goodness for my aquabot:D

Jeffski
08-09-2007, 10:31 AM
We have zero woods by us, but do have a large grassy park behind my backyard. We also get the occasional mole or turtle plus several frogs every week.

topless
08-11-2007, 09:13 AM
I get rolly-polly's the most, 10-15 a day sometimes. I also get a steady supply of spiders and centipedes and the occasional toad.
I am always amazed at the number of house flies that fly into the pool during the day. You can sit and watch them, I guess they can't see the water.

PhantomAndy
06-19-2008, 03:48 PM
Jeff - I'd like to know why these spiders sink so quickly too. I bet you are getting what are known as Wolf Spiders. They are ground dwellers that don't keep webs like most spiders. They forage on the ground for their food and carry they egg sacks and hatched young on their abdomen. They are quite the creepy spider, and large too.

I pull at least 1 a day during the early part of the year. It slows down later on only to be replaced by the frogs. I free my frogs from the skimmers every morning. They crack me up when the jump right back in the pool and take off swimming.

aylad
06-19-2008, 06:26 PM
If you'll put a boogie board, pool noodle or frisbee in the water at night, the spiders will climb on it and you can remove them from the pool and THEN kill them. Watch out for the babies, though--looks like something out of a Stephen King movie when they scatter!!

Janet

waste
06-20-2008, 06:10 PM
I know poly 60 is the algaecide to use but, if you pour a little of the linear quats (I think it's ammonia based ?) on them they sink and twitch almost immediately - [sick laugh] - oh, sure you've then gotta vacuum them up, but there is a certain satisfaction in knowing that they won't be using your arm as a ladder out of the pool:rolleyes:

Poconos
06-20-2008, 10:45 PM
These people in West Virginia talk funny. They call them SPYDERS.
On a serious note I was infested with a good crop of caterpillars this Spring in Northeast PA. They seem to float when they die.
Al

smallpooldad
07-27-2008, 12:14 AM
Try this website they have lots of ideas on how to remove spiders.

The Ladybug idea looks good. They live around our pool and we have no spider issues. We have cane spiders in the house but they are great for killing mosquitos.

http://www.stretcher.com/stories/01/010716a.cfm

Aloha

PBLsQuad450
05-30-2010, 03:22 PM
Spiders and earthworms every darn morning. Occasional "Wolfie" but mostly long whispy "daddy Long Legs" which, I'm not sure, may not be spiders with 6 legs. Who cares, its a pain. Biggest real problem though is bees. Not so aggressive, but dipping onto the surface, unintentional contact is almost a certainty. ANyone have ideas?

aylad
05-30-2010, 04:54 PM
Ping pong paddle...it works for horseflies!

Janet

waste
05-30-2010, 05:16 PM
Welcome to the forum!!

I'm FAR from an expert on this, but I believe borates at ~ 50 ppm helps keep the bugs down to a minimum - at that level you also get algistatic benefits and the water will 'feel' better :cool:

Hopefully Richard will see this and better explain what I'm saying. :)