PDA

View Full Version : Need help adjusting numbers, please

kdzgon
08-07-2007, 03:06 PM
Hi,

My pool numbers are usually good (since I found this site - thanks!!), but a combination of a few days away on vacation and a LOT of rain followed by a high load (BBQ with ~55 people) has really knocked it off balance. I cannot seem to raise my pH, and I don't want to "guesstimate" any longer, so I am hoping for some assistance. (I went to the bleach calculator, but I'm not sure my calculations are correct.)

I have a 16x32 vinyl in-ground pool with a diving bell configuration (I note that as it seems to increase the water volume calc a little bit).

Numbers (on Fri) were FC 1, CC 0, pH 6.8 (I suspect true reading was much lower), TA 0, Cal 180, Cya 60.

So far I have added 3/4 box borax and 8 lbs baking soda (Fri-Sat), and shocked the pool (last done on Sat).

Pool no longer looks slightly cloudy, but it doesn't "sparkle" either. Current numbers are as follows:

FC 7.0, CC 0.5, pH 6.8 (I'm guessing still <6.8), TA 60, Cya 60 (didn't do Cal again as it is a vinyl pool). I'm a little surprised that my Fc is as high as it is, especially as there were a lot of people in the pool, plus it has been ~90 degrees and sunny since Sat.

I have soda ash available, or I can purchase borax and/or baking soda if that will work better for my situation.

Thanks for any help you can provide!

Laurie

kdzgon
08-08-2007, 06:03 PM
Pretty please??

Watermom
08-08-2007, 06:17 PM
Since you need to raise your alk and ph, you can use soda ash or if you prefer, you can use Borax and baking soda. Either will be effective. Aim for a ph reading of 7.4-7.6 although anywhere between 7.2-7.8 is OK and a TA reading between 80-125. After you add stuff, wait 4 or 5 hours to let it circulate and then retest and redose as needed.

kdzgon
08-08-2007, 08:00 PM
Since you need to raise your alk and ph, you can use soda ash or if you prefer, you can use Borax and baking soda. Either will be effective. Aim for a ph reading of 7.4-7.6 although anywhere between 7.2-7.8 is OK and a TA reading between 80-125. After you add stuff, wait 4 or 5 hours to let it circulate and then retest and redose as needed.

Thank you, but I'm still a bit lost - my original problem was (and still is) "how much [soda ash OR borax OR baking soda] do I need to raise pH by "X"? Can anyone give me an idea as to how much product to add to start?

I'm sorry for any poor phrasing re: what I need to know! Thanks again~

mbar
08-08-2007, 09:27 PM
Here is a "bleach calc"

BleachCalc262.exe (http://richardfalk.home.comcast.net/pool/BleachCalc262.exe)

Go to the top left and click on "more calcs" and you will see where you can put in the info on how much you want to raise or lower your numbers:)

kdzgon
08-08-2007, 10:10 PM
...I cannot seem to raise my pH, and I don't want to "guesstimate" any longer, so I am hoping for some assistance. (I went to the bleach calculator, but I'm not sure my calculations are correct.)...

Thanks for the link, mbar but as I said I was already there. I'm not sure of my pool volume so I was asking for help in running the calcs.

When I purchased the kit, it was suggested I post my numbers here to get help on computing the numbers to adjust my water rather than just guess at doses, so that is what I did. I've gone back to the old style of just keep adding and testing until I get close, and if I over-shoot my goal, I'll just adjust the other way.