PDA

View Full Version : Chemicals are good, so why are my eyes irritated?

pruggera
08-06-2007, 11:50 PM
I'm using the Taylor K-2006 and get these results:

FC - 3
CC - 0
PH - 7.6
TA - 180
Ca - 240
Cya - probably 20 (test shows < 30)

23,000 gallon In Ground Plaster Pool
2.5 Hp two speed Hayward pump
48 Sq. Ft. D.E. Filter

Cya is low because we did an acid wash three weeks ago and we're slowly building up the Cya. D.E. was replaced after the acid wash.

So why do my eyes hurt?

chem geek
08-07-2007, 12:28 AM
Probably low salt level. Since you are starting out with a relatively high 180 ppm for TA, did you have to add any baking soda to raise it or did you have to add any calcium chloride to get to 240 ppm for Calcium Hardness (CH)? If not, then your salt level is probably very low and this can put pressure on your eyes (which are around 9000 ppm salt). Your previous pool water probably had more salt as the pool water was older and over time the chlorine addition and usage would build up salt.

If this is the case, then you can add extra salt to your pool or you can just wait and over (a long) time it will improve as you add and use more chlorine.

Richard

pruggera
08-07-2007, 01:06 AM
I never add baking soda. I always have to add muriatic acid to keep the PH from going to 8. No calcium chloride has been added. Also, I only use Sodium Hypochlorite as my source of chlorine. 10% solution in one gallon jugs from Home Depot.

The water was replaced three weeks ago so the salt level would be very low. The old water was in there for 15 years based on what the previous owner told me.

I have been thinking about adding salt before, and based on what you've said I going to do it. After we get a few rust spots fixed where the rebar is rusting I'll drop a hundred pounds of water softener salt in and "see" how it feels. I'll need to have a salt test in place before I do this. Any recommendations?

Thanks

Phil

CarlD
08-07-2007, 09:22 AM
I never add baking soda. I always have to add muriatic acid to keep the PH from going to 8. No calcium chloride has been added. Also, I only use Sodium Hypochlorite as my source of chlorine. 10% solution in one gallon jugs from Home Depot.

The water was replaced three weeks ago so the salt level would be very low. The old water was in there for 15 years based on what the previous owner told me.

I have been thinking about adding salt before, and based on what you've said I going to do it. After we get a few rust spots fixed where the rebar is rusting I'll drop a hundred pounds of water softener salt in and "see" how it feels. I'll need to have a salt test in place before I do this. Any recommendations?

Thanks

Phil

IMHO you can safely add 100# of salt with no problem. Last season I tried weighting down my wedding cake steps with two 80# bags of salt...They didn't last nearly as long as I would have thought (OK, it was a stupid idea, but at least I didn't have algae growing inside them for once). But that was 160# to a 19,000 gallon pool and the salt level never got beyond 1000--after 4 years of using bleach/LC almost exclusively. The water felt softer and it was easier on the eyes.

My point? I think you can go ahead and add the 100# of salt right now and when your salt test kit comes, then you can check it, but you'll be far below any maximum level.

chem geek
08-07-2007, 09:47 AM
If the frequent rise in pH and acid addition are an annoyance for you, then you can consider lowering the TA level by following the procedure in this thread (http://www.poolforum.com/pf2/showthread.php?t=191). This will also bring your water closer into calcium carbonate saturation balance, though it's only a little over-saturated right now. Since you will be adding some salt, you should target a TA level of 100. If you find that you like the reduction in pH rise and want to lower the TA level more (say, to 80 or below), then you can consider raising the Calcium Hardness level a bit (to 300 or 350 ppm) though this is not critical.

Richard

gonefishin
08-07-2007, 01:26 PM
If you wear contacts you may already know that the eye drops that you use are a type of saline drops. This is done to come as close to the salinity that's in your eyes. If you've ever used distilled water to rinse your contacts off you'll always reach for a saline solution. A saline solution is also used in many I.V. bags nowadays. Again...if you ever had someone grab the wrong bag of sterile water you will be in for a world of pain.

give me saline!

dan

Tredge
08-08-2007, 03:33 PM
Not sure if this is relevant to your problem but my Wife noticed that her eyes hurt in the pool this year when they didnt at all last year.

The only thing I've done different is add Borax to the pool. Does this irritate the eyes?

waterbear
08-08-2007, 04:29 PM
It should lessen irritation. At normal pool pH about 2/3 of the borates in the water are in the form of boric acid. Boric acid has been used traditionally as a soothing eye wash.

pruggera
08-11-2007, 12:42 AM
I have used the Gas Law process to reduce TA. With the Taylor K-2006 I now get these results:

FC - 1.6
CC - 0
pH - 7.6
TA - 100
Ca - 240
Cya - probably 20 (test shows < 30)

48 Sq. Ft. D.E. Filter

I'm still working on raising Cya. I also dropped 80# of salt in but haven't had a chance to try it out.

crackerjack
08-11-2007, 03:23 PM
Not sure if this is relevant to your problem but my Wife noticed that her eyes hurt in the pool this year when they didnt at all last year.

The only thing I've done different is add Borax to the pool. Does this irritate the eyes?

This also seems to be a problem with my wife this year also, I over did it with 80 ppm of borates after the fact when my test strips finally made it in.
Does not seem to affect anyone else but her.
I am trying to find out if it is maybe something else that is causing this, like maybe the sunscreen that is applied on her face.
They are so irritated that they are icthy and swollen for 2-3 days.

Salt level has been around 3200 ppm since last year.

ShelleyAnn
08-23-2007, 12:56 PM
Pollen. Are you outside when you are in the pool? Are you inside most other times? I have allergies this time of year that I don't have other times.

pruggera
08-28-2007, 01:51 AM
Update:

Eye irritation is greatly reduced after adding 260 pounds of salt and five pounds of Cyanuric acid. I also fixed the high TA using the gas law technique.

Using the Taylor K-2006 I now get these results:

FC - 3
CC - 0
PH - 7.6
TA - 90
Ca - 240
Cya - 30

Using the Taylor K-1766 Drop Test for Chloride:
Salt - 2200 ppm

48 Sq. Ft. D.E. Filter

Thanks go to Richard (Chem Geek) and CarlD for your valuable guidance.

Phil