PDA

View Full Version : Pool numbers. Need help!

rfreeman
08-05-2007, 06:17 PM
I tested my pool yesterday after a long trip.
FC - 0
CC - 0
TC - 0
Ph - 7.0
TA - 140
CH - 120
CYA - ??? I couldn't get the black dot to go away even after filling the tube to the rim. Does this mean I have too much or none?

I added some borax to raise PH, then shocked last night. New readings:

5.6 - FC
.8 - CC
6.4 - TC
7.0 - PH
140 - TA
120 - CH
CYA - ran out of the reagent! Gotta get some more.

My pool is still somewhat cloudy. I can see the bottom in the shallow end but not in the deep. I have a 16x24 IG vinyl pool. I am used to having a crystal clear pool, but I have had more trouble this summer than ever, due in large part to the very rainy weather we have had in louisiana this year.
Any suggestions?? I am going to add more borax this evening.

CarlD
08-05-2007, 06:37 PM
I tested my pool yesterday after a long trip.
FC - 0
CC - 0
TC - 0
Ph - 7.0
TA - 140
CH - 120
CYA - ??? I couldn't get the black dot to go away even after filling the tube to the rim. Does this mean I have too much or none?

I added some borax to raise PH, then shocked last night. New readings:

5.6 - FC
.8 - CC
6.4 - TC
7.0 - PH
140 - TA
120 - CH
CYA - ran out of the reagent! Gotta get some more.

My pool is still somewhat cloudy. I can see the bottom in the shallow end but not in the deep. I have a 16x24 IG vinyl pool. I am used to having a crystal clear pool, but I have had more trouble this summer than ever, due in large part to the very rainy weather we have had in louisiana this year.
Any suggestions?? I am going to add more borax this evening.

OK: Do NOT add Borax--your TA will go up with it. 7.0 isn't bad--just aerate your pool and your pH will rise but TA won't rise.

I would also hammer the chlorine. If you never got the black dot to go away, you have no stabilizer. Shock to 10 to 12ppm, no higher, and keep it there for a couple of days.

rfreeman
08-05-2007, 11:40 PM
Oh no!!! Too late! I added about one quarter of a box tonight before i came in to check the forum! Thanks for the info. I'll get the chlorine up.

KurtV
08-06-2007, 08:01 AM
I doubt that your pH is actually 7. I assume that's the lowest pH your kit will test for, which means your pH is at maximum 7 and possibly much lower. The failure of the borax to raise your pH above 7 tells me that your pH was probably very low (though I have no idea how much you added).

With a vinyl liner, having very low pH can be dangerous. You can raise it, as Carl said, by aerating the water but I'd use enough Borax to get the pH above the extreme that your test kit will measure. It won't raise your alkalinity much and with your low calcium your alkalinity can be somewhat higher without causing clouding or scaling. We can help tell you how much if you post the volume of your pool.