PDA

View Full Version : Chipmunks digging under pavers

KirstenHW
08-03-2007, 11:29 PM
In May 06 we had 3 of our 5 lines replaced - 2 returns and 1 wall vac line. Luckily, since the concrete slabs and the perimeter of the pool are lined with brick pavers, they were able to lift them out and dig down to replace the lines - no cutting the slabs. This fall the 2 skimmer lines are due. Can't wait.

This June I started noticing the pavers in the one of the repaired areas had loosened up and the crushed stone they were set in was being dug up. Chipmunks!

What do you guys recommend we do? We were wishing the Screech Owl that used to live in our yard would return to address things as nature intended (5 chipmunk-free years), but so far nothing's happened. I thought about buying fox or wolf urine at a garden place. My mom suggested I use (sorry for being more gross) used clumping cat litter balls and toss them into the hole. I'm waiting to see if that will repel the little buggers.

They're so damn cute but if they chew through my new lines I might go ballistic like in Caddyshack . . .

Spensar
08-03-2007, 11:54 PM
I know that for groundhogs and skunks unwashed dog hair often works well. I get it from the groomer at the pet store. They are happy to give it away. One groomer gave me her card and said to call ahead to ensure I was getting unwashed hair.

KirstenHW
08-04-2007, 12:24 AM
Wow! I have a large, unwashed (but sweet) Rottweiler right here at home! And he's got lots of hair to spare . . . I will definitely add that to my stinky concoction. Thanks for the tip -

AnnaK
08-04-2007, 07:28 AM
You can drop a mothball in the hole and backfill with dirt. We've had excellent success keeping groundhogs away with this method.

KirstenHW
08-04-2007, 12:03 PM
Also a great idea - thanks! I may just try all three - at once. I tell ya - it would drive me away . . .:rolleyes:

Sumo1
08-04-2007, 01:08 PM
I've had a problem with chipmunks digging under the sidewalk in various places. Today I put some poison peanuts (sold for gophers) in the holes and backfilled with dirt. It will probably take care of them for the rest of this year but the dens are still there and I have this problem every summer. I'm not opposed to other methods but this has worked fairly well so far.
Hal

KirstenHW
08-15-2007, 05:09 PM
Well, I really didn't want to kill the chipmunks - just run them out of town. Happy to say that the kitty litter / dog hair balls combination seems to have driven them to find less stinky stomping grounds. Yay.

Sumo1
08-16-2007, 12:55 PM
Congrats on your success! I don't really want to kill them either, so I'll try brushing my dog more often. I'm sure she will like that. I do know that chipmunks are persistent little buggers.
Hal

PhantomAndy
06-19-2008, 03:40 PM
Trap and relocate.

I use the Hav-a-hart brand traps (a small one) to trap chipmunks. I then just toss the trap in the back of the truck drive them one by one as I catch them over to the state park and drop 'em off.

Strange thing is they all run the same direction regardless of which way I turn the trap when I open it. I think they see their buddies up on the hill.

You can get these critter friendly traps an your local Tractor Supply (TSC) or virtually any other home/garden supply store.