PDA

View Full Version : Adding Bleach with Solar Cover On

jrv331
08-02-2007, 04:33 PM
Up until a few weeks ago I was adding my bleach by dribbling it around the edge of the pool, naturally I had to take the solar cover off for this. A few weeks ago I started adding my bleach by pouring slowly through the skimmer, as a result I have not to remove the solar cover. Is this harmful to the cover?
Thanks
John

matt4x4
08-03-2007, 07:24 AM
I'd be asking - is this harmful to my equipment?
If you have an AG pool, it's probably ok, however, an IG pool with a heater etc in line, the concentrated bleach running through the plumbing can do much damage to anything metal - rot your heater etc.

I'm guilty of adding through the skimmer regularly, it works for me because removing a 30 foot round cover is a bit of work, and the pool is an AG so there isn't much that will corrode.
As for the solar cover, only the section immediately above the return died and is now a half circle that I cut out (about 1foot by 6inches), and this happened year 2 when I was also aerating and shooting the water up, nothing has changed since then on the cover - no worse, no better, and we're on year 4 now.

Poconos
08-03-2007, 08:13 AM
I've stated this several times, now with a different twist. By adding through the skimmer, which I always do, the bleach is diluted immediately although the concentration is still high, but the time in contact with any circulation components is small. Consider normal chlorinated pool water that is in contact 24/7. Now you have a high concentration of chlorine in contact for maybe 2 minutes at the most if you pour really slow? Nothing will happen.
Al

mohawk
08-03-2007, 08:34 AM
So what your saying is you take off the cover-leave in the basket and slowly pour the bleach into the skimmer? It's immediately sucked into the filter and pump with no harm? I've always poured it into the return stream. Is this method also safe with 12% chlorine? Denise :confused:

matt4x4
08-03-2007, 01:15 PM
Poconos - why would my solar cover change colour and dry up in just that area when the contact is so brief it won't do damage? Obviously, there's some damage being done, so one can deduct that if the solar cover gets damaged, so would pool equipment. It may be safer to say "little damage" will happen, but from what I understand some damage will occur - heaters don't like it, so I'm just going to mention it if people ask.
mohawk - You can pour it into the return stream too, however, I think a higher residual will stick around at the wall for a bit since not all of it will get sucked into the stream immediately....either way, it's a very small amount of damage

jrv331
08-03-2007, 01:36 PM
Heres why I asked the question in the first place. Im on my 4th solar cover in 10 years which is about par. I switched to the BBB method a few years ago and had always been adding the bleach/borax by dribbling it arount the pool with the cover off. This year I started adding everythig throught the skimmer. This is the second year for this solar cover and when I go to take it off the pool it actually tears where ever I grab it, the bubbles pop at the slightest touch. This is the first time anything like this has happened. It was not like this when I put it on at the start of the season. The only thing different this year than the last is adding chemicals through the skimmer and leaving the cover on.

I'll also admitt that this year I leave the cover on when I shock as well - which may be some of the problem.

Any one know who has the best deals on solar covers? 24AG,
Thanks
John

Poconos
08-03-2007, 08:32 PM
I've been dumping all chemicals into the skimmer for I believe 7 seasons and no problems. Seals, O-rings, and other components should be made of materials that are resistant to pool chemicals. Solar covers are not. CarlD started another thread somewhere about his cover that bit the dust and I posted that one cover I had stated the warranty was void for chlorine levels over 1.5 ppm. I also asked how many pools run as low as 1.5. Without any great chemistry knowledge my guess is the combination of high chlorine levels, heat, and sunlight kill covers prematurely. When you pour in front of a return or around a perimeter there is no guarantee dilution will quickly occur. Pouring in the skimmer you are. Basically fresh water is sucked in, mixed with the added chemicals, then shot out the returns. Each person does what works best. If one is having problems that may be attributed to one technique, change techniques. If it ain't broke, don't fix it. However, many engineers will say, if it ain't broke, design it better anyhow. The skimmer works for me.
Al

DeYoung9
08-03-2007, 11:06 PM
Damage done by low concentrations of Cl over a period of weeks or months will be equal to the damage done by high concentrations of Cl for a short time. Exactly what concentration/time ratios are equivalent depends on the materials being affected and usually requires testing to figure out.

- DeYoung9

shadowman
08-04-2007, 11:11 PM
I feel compelled to offer the same warning that was offered to me on this forum. Never add bleach through the skimmer if you are using pucks in a chlorine injector. When I was in the process of switching to the BBB method, I started using the skimmer. The same day I was given this warning I ran out, shut off the pump and opened my injector. It still had small pieces of pucks in it and it was bubbling furiously. I also took a hit of chlorine gas that nearly knocked me over. It could have caused an explosion if I had let it go. :eek: