PDA

View Full Version : Pink Water (not an algea)

blk133
07-26-2007, 08:54 AM
Hi guys,

Yes I did take my sunglasses off :) Fiberglass pool just got repainted with gelcoat. After 3 days I decided to start the filling process. I put 3 of 3" tri-chlor tablets into the floater, attached hose to it to let the water run through the tabs. 5 hours later I came back to see the progress and what I saw was hard for my brain to understand. The water in the pool was violet/pink but clear:)

I am affraid to ask, but has anyone ever saw or had anything like this before?

I assumed it was a lot of chlorine and maybe not enough of something else so I took out the tabs. Today it's still filling and water is light green now, I still have probably 2 days left to fill it completely. It's 35K gal pool.

Why was it violet/pink?

Thanks,
B

waterbear
07-26-2007, 05:03 PM
pink/violet water is often caused by manganese. Try a metal sequesterant and if the water turns back to normal you have your answer (since most pool stores don't test for manganse). Even if you don't need it a dose of metal seqesterant in the water won't hurt anything.

Edit: The fact that the color appeared when you ran the water over the chlorine leads me to believe strongly that this is the problem since chlorine oxidized the metal ions in the water and causes them to bec0ome colored.

waterbear
07-26-2007, 11:40 PM
I would get some chlorine in their as it fills since you said the water is starting to turn green. That would most likely be from algae!