PDA

View Full Version : To use copper sulphate or not

justawildchild
07-25-2007, 11:32 AM
Is there any advantage to using copper sulphate in a low dose. I know people who have done this and swear by it to make their pools "sparkle".

But after what I am reading in the forums here, I am not so sure.

Some things to note.....I have ordered a salt water generator. Would that be affected?

I have a solar heating system (store bought....E-bay actually). Can it harm this system.

Will any amount turn my kids blonde hair green?

Any help would be great because it has been a real struggle keeping the pool clear this year.

NWMNMom
07-25-2007, 11:05 PM
Speaking only from what I have seen here since I have been on for a few years, but I have not once seen anyone that wants to add metals of any type to their pool. BBB - the three things you need to get your pool sparkling clean. Do you have issues with your pool being cloudy or green? As they say "If it aint broke, don't fix it." Basically, a lot of folks have just found that good chemistry and filtering gets the water as clear and sparkling as possible. Skimmer socks also help get that super fine stuff out that can make the water "less sharp" and clear.

aylad
07-26-2007, 05:23 PM
I personally would not add copper in any form to my pool...copper is what turns blonde hair and fingernails green, and stains the sides of pools. It also makes your water chemistry much more of a pain to maintain.

Keeping adequate levels of chlorine in your water will keep your pool clear. If you would post numbers (via drop-based kit, not test strips) for total or combined chlorine, free chlorine, pH, alk, and calcium we would be happy to see if we can identify what's causing the water problems you're having. Is the water green? Cloudy?

Janet

KurtV
07-26-2007, 08:55 PM
This post (http://www.poolforum.com/pf2/showthread.php?t=405) by Ben (Pooldoc), while a response to a question about the Nature2 system, has some good information on using copper in pool water as an algaecide more generally (it even talks about intentionally staining white plaster pools). From his post, I would gather that unless you're willing to stain the pool (and the hair and fingernails that get in it), the amount of copper you'll put in the water won't be of any help in fighting algae.

Your problem is probably a result of insufficient or inconsistent chlorination. Post your numbers (as Aylad said) and the folks here will be very happy to help you with that.

justawildchild
07-26-2007, 10:26 PM
Thanks for the advice. It just seemed too good to be true. My water is not green, it is just hazy. I can see the bottom of the shallow end no problem, but he deep end is hard to see. The pool is just never "crystal clear". I will get the numbers for the pool and then see what you say. I think I need to get a good test kit so I can get all the numbers I need at home instead of going to the pool place.

Another question.....for those of you who are using bleach in thier pool, how much of a savings is there. At my pool store, I can get 20 Litres (5 1/4 gallons) of liquid chlorine from the pool store for $11.75. The cheapest I can get bleach is about $1.99 for 5 Litres (1.3 gallons). The bleach is concentrated at 6.25% while the liquid chlorine is 12% (when fresh) from the pool place. For me it just seems that $12 for 12% is better than $8 for 6%. Am I wrong here? I hear so many people using bleach. Maybe the prices are much higher for you guys where you are.

It may not matter much soon as I have my SWG on route as we speak.:cool:

Spensar
07-27-2007, 01:50 PM
I used 5.25% sodium chloride ("bleach") until last year but have switched to a a refillable 20 litre carboy that I get filled with 12.5% sodium chloride (super bleach:D ).

From what I figure I also calculate that your bulk price is lower than buying jugs of bleach. It really should be too since you are providing the container and the 12% stuff is bulk shipped to be refilled.

Each is just as effective, it depends on how the prices in your area. Like you, the bulk is cheaper for me. Plus with the higher concentration I don't have as much liquid or bottles to handle. To do it again though, I would have bought 2 10 litre carboys instead. The 20 litre container can be cumbersome.

aylad
07-27-2007, 02:55 PM
I think I need to get a good test kit so I can get all the numbers I need at home instead of going to the pool place.

Absolutely!!! That's the best advice you're going to get.....

In your situation with the liquid chlorine, I would go with your 12%. The chain stores nor the pool stores in this area will carry 12%, so it's pretty much bleach for me.

Janet

mbar
07-28-2007, 10:27 PM
Look at this thread before you use copper sulfate:
http://www.poolforum.com/pf2/showthread.php?t=7890