PDA

View Full Version : Can Small Leak Prevent Pump From Priming?

NullQwerty
07-23-2007, 10:54 AM
Hey folks,

On my friend's pump, there are 4 bolts that connect the area that holds the basket and water to the area that houses the impeller. The impeller had stopped spinning because he had vacuumed too much sand which stopped the impeller. So, we removed those 4 bolts and cleaned out the impeller area and got it spinning again.

Behind the 4 bolts was a gasket, that probably needs to be replaced because it was fairly old, and when we put it back together and filled it up with water, water was dripping from this area. When we turned the pump on, it immediately drained the water from the basket, but couldn't pull water from the suction line We tried for several minutes.

Is it possible that the small leak caused by the old gasket could prevent the pump from priming (i.e. it is drawing air from there, rather than pool from the water)?

I don't think it is a clogged pipe because we put the garden hose into the suction line from the pump, and the water came out of the skimmer.

Thanks!

waste
07-23-2007, 11:03 AM
Null, yup - if the pump's not fully sealed it will draw air instead of water, you could try lubing the old gasket, but you're probably better off replacing it.

NullQwerty
07-23-2007, 11:10 AM
That's what I was starting to figure. Thanks again waste!

NullQwerty
07-24-2007, 09:36 AM
That was it! New Gasket and everything was working perfectly. Thx again!