PDA

View Full Version : Installing a Sand Filter

NullQwerty
07-17-2007, 12:24 PM
Hey folks,

I'm about to help a friend install a Hayward Pro Series sand filter in his above ground pool. I have never done this before or even worked with a sand filter before, however I've installed my DE Filter many times for my in-ground pool many times.

What are some of the differences I should be aware of (other than don't put in DE of course)? Like, obviously I make the connection to the pump and the return to the pool. After that, I imagine I should add sand. Anything I should be aware of in this part? Like, add slowly, or mix with water, or monitor pressure...?

Is there anything else that needs to be done or any other differences? Does a backwash need to be performed at some point?

Thanks for the help!

JohnT
07-17-2007, 12:57 PM
The big things:

Protect the laterals from the sand as you fill the filter. There will probably be a collar type contraption that diverts the sand, and the instructions may have you add water before starting.

Use the right sand.

Backwash thoroughy, then rinse thoroughly before starting to filter.

waste
07-17-2007, 06:26 PM
Null, Hi - how's it going?
John is very correct in saying to protect the laterals and do the complete backwash!

Hayward and I disagree on quite a few things in operating or maintaining one of their products - what to fill a sand filter with is just one of them. I say to add pea gravel first (replace ~ 1/4 of the sand lbs with the gravel) [see this for more info]
Having water in the filter before adding the gravel/ sand lessens the impact on the laterals. As John said, cover the pipe inside before adding the filter media. I've found that cutting one of the top corners off is the easiest way to get the sand into the filter, you make a ~ 'pastry bag'. If the filter is made of fiberglass (though I think the Hayward ones are 'plastic') wear a long sleeved shirt to prevent fiberglass splinters when you reach in to smooth the sand. Be sure to rinse the sand out of the threads and sealing surface when putting the top back on! Fill the tank with water before starting it up and as John says, give it a good backwashing immediately and a rinse.

I wish you well with the project and if I can help in any way just ask;)

NullQwerty
07-18-2007, 08:57 AM
Thanks guys! The install went smoothly. I recommended to my friend to use the gravel as you suggested Waste, but being that the instructions said Sand, he was too nervous to get all "hippie" on it ;)

It didn't come with anything to divert the sand to protect the laterals, but rather it just said to fill the tank up 1/2 way with water to lessen the impact. So, I did that and just poured rather slowly (using the Pastry bag method).

Didn't get to test it in the end though because we needed to buy some extra PVC connectors, but I think it's gonna be fine.

Also repaired his pump. He was replacing the filter because sand starting shooting into the pool by the pound. Then he vacuumed the sand up which seized his pump. So, we disassembled the pump, got the sand out, and it started spinning again.

Thanks again guys!