PDA

View Full Version : SunHeater Solar Heating for Inground - feedback?

Spensar
07-17-2007, 05:02 AM
I saw that the Sunheater solar heating kits are available for inground pools now. Maybe this is old stuff, but I had only seen them for above ground before. They are providing roof mount panels and connections for a 15x30 foot pool for $500 and claiming heating capability of 10 degrees F. That's pretty cheap, any feedback on these and how they work?

Can't swing it this year but that may be a good option to supplement by natural gas heater.

I saw the kit at Costco online - http://tinyurl.com/32hpya

CarlD
07-17-2007, 09:40 AM
Solar heating works. I can get as much as 8 to 10 degrees in a day, if it's a hot clear sunny day. If I put on the solar cover that gets me that much.

I find if you have solar panels with a surface area equal to 1/5 the surface area of the pool you'll get a noticeable effect. Go up to 1/3 to 2/5s of the pool's Surf area and you'll get results like mine. Go up to 1/2 and your water should be VERY comfortable. Go to 1:1 and you can swim all summer in Canada!

Spensar
07-17-2007, 02:43 PM
Go to 1:1 and you can swim all summer in Canada!

Ahhh, I'll let you negotiate that with my wife!

Any reason these shouldn't work as well as others? The price is pretty low so I was wondering about it.

CarlD
07-17-2007, 04:52 PM
Ahhh, I'll let you negotiate that with my wife!

Any reason these shouldn't work as well as others? The price is pretty low so I was wondering about it.

Nuh-uh!!!!!
YOU negotiate with your better half--LEAVE ME OUT OF IT!:eek:

It's a question of the quality of the panels, the provided plumbing and the mount system. I can't help you on that.

NWMNMom
07-18-2007, 11:48 AM
Some brands are better than others - there is little difference between AG and IG except the stop in the header which can be removed. I have the SolarBears, had the SunHeater brand before and like the new ones better. The SH brand seemed to be a bit more brittle, thinner material, cheaper feeling. They damaged more easily when, for instance, a branch would fall on it during a storm, etc. The SB are heavier, more flexible, have a handle for adjustment of the header. JMHO, those are the only two brands I have tried.