PDA

View Full Version : Patio added near pool, pH thru the roof....

chrisexv6
07-15-2007, 08:15 PM
Has anyone ever had a stamped concrete patio installed nearby an existing pool?

We had a little algae before the pour (they cut the power wire to the pump while excavating). Pump was down for a day during 90 degree heat. I got it up and running a week ago, but the pool still looks "sick" (water isnt clearing up as fast as it usually does, etc).

Tested it and noticed the pH is thru the roof....at least 8.2 (it was perfectly balance before the pour). Im sure some of it is algae but Ive shocked it long enough that everything should be dead. I did, however, find some of the coloring dust they used on the patio floating on the water. Im wondering if this threw off my perfect pH. I cant find any MSDS papers on the stuff, I was almost considering trying to get some off the patio and test it myself :)

Thanks in advance.

-Chris

JohnT
07-15-2007, 08:50 PM
If your pool is at shock level, your pH reading may not be reliable.

chrisexv6
07-15-2007, 08:54 PM
I actually let the FC drift to a normal level today (mostly to see if the pH changed). It was at shock level for several days. You can see its dead algae (not "clingy" if you brush it), but it just seems to be suspended in the water for a lot longer than normal. Filter is running well, pressure started rising after brushing so I know its catching something. Maybe it just needs more time. Just seemed a little odd that one "off" day could muck up the works this much.

-Chris

giroup01
07-16-2007, 07:23 AM
I was almost considering trying to get some off the patio and test it myself :)

Good idea, did that myself out of curiosity. The iron content shot way way up!

chrisexv6
07-19-2007, 09:05 AM
Just a quick follow up -

I lowered the pH with pH decreaser (one of the few pool chemicals I will buy at a pool store........dont like dealing with anything that says "acid" on the bottle :) ), then threw in some clarifier (I know I know, but I figured in this case it was actually necessary........watching all the coloring powder float around on the surface of the water). Within hours the pool was noticeably clearer. Overnight it went back to just about crystal clear.

-Chris