PDA

View Full Version : Aquarite SWG 3rd season

Number6
07-08-2007, 07:33 PM
Hello all.

I have a 18'x36', vinyl, 32K gal IG with a Aquarite SWG.

The SWG is on its 3rd season and I'm having trouble keeping green algae from forming this season. I have cleaned the SWG with muratic acid/water (as per Aquarite) 36 hours ago. The SWG has been on superchlorinate. The algae has returned.

Tot Alk. = 140
Ph = 7.4
Na = 3100
CC (at the return) = (TC/3.0-FC/3.0)=CC/0.
CYA = 80
Calcium = 370
Temp = 76F.
Rainfall in past 24 hours = 1-1.5 inches.

However, when I take chlorine readings away from a return, I get 0 -0.5(maybe).

Is the SWG on its last legs?

I feel like I'm fighting a loosing battle.

waterbear
07-08-2007, 10:02 PM
Shock the pool with bleach and keep it at shock level until your FC away from the return is holding. Your pool has a chlorine demand from the algae and because of the size of it you are near the limit of what the cell can produce (the turbo cell 15 is rated for 40k residential or 25k commercial). Once you get the algae taken care of I think your SWG will work fine. You probably have another year or two left in the cell if you have taken care of it.

Poolsean
07-09-2007, 12:22 AM
Number6,

just the fact that you're able to test 3 ppm at the return and 0 - 0.5 in the pool is evidence that your cell is producing chlorine,
make sure your cell is not scaled, as your TA is a little on the high side. 80-100 ppm would be much better.
As Waterbear suggests, add chlorine to get rid of your algae problem first. Ensure that you're able to maintain a FC in the pool, then you should be back to normal. With all this rain, you're either going to have to increase your system's output, or suppliment with bleach or tabs.

Number6
07-09-2007, 06:34 AM
Thank you waterbear and Poolsean.

I have never used bleach. (I have relied upon powdered shock). How much should I use? Brand/type suggestions?

I take it that I should NOT pour bleach directly into the skimmer but, pour it around the perimeter?

I really appreciate this forum. I always get sound advice.

I'll let you know what happens. Stay tuned................

waterbear
07-09-2007, 08:01 PM
approx 8 gal of Ultra (6%) or 9 gal of regular(5.25%) will raise your 32k pool from 0 to 15 ppm. each gallon of Ultra will raise your pool just under 2 ppm (1.9 ppm) and each gallon of regular will raise it just over 1.5 ppm (1.6 ppm). I would use the rounded off numbers to make it easier, close enough for government work!;)

Number6
07-10-2007, 04:19 AM
Thanks again, waterbear.

I just bought the three "Bs".
'Am looking forward to spending less money!:D