PDA

View Full Version : sodium persulfate

topless
07-07-2007, 09:23 AM
Somewhere I acquired a large container of Leslies Oxidizer 2, which is sodium persulfate. I searched here to see what it was, and it had no matches. I googled it and found it matched the instructions on the container as it is used as a sanitizer.
My question is, what should I do with this? I don't mind throwing it out, or can it be used in some way.
Interesting enough is Leslies no longer sells the stuff.

aylad
07-10-2007, 12:39 PM
I'm sure Waterbear or Chemgeek will chime in with a more detailed response soon, but I believe that the sodium persulfate is what's more commonly referred to as "non-chlorine shock", and I believe that it's usually used with bromine, or possibly one of the Baq products. Personally, if I don't know what it is, there's no way I'd put it in my pool. The fact that Leslies no longer sells it would also tend to make me lean toward getting rid of it instead of trying to use it.

Just my $.02....

Janet

chem geek
07-10-2007, 05:53 PM
Sodium persulfate is Na2S2O8 and is not the same as regular non-chlorine shock which is potassium monopersulfate where the critical part of it is KHSO5. Sodium persulfate is a VERY strong oxidizer with a reduction potential of +2.010V for S2O8(2-) + 2e- --> 2SO4(2-)

Ben indicated on PoolSolutions that persulfate shouldn't be used (see this link (http://www.poolsolutions.com/gd/chem_never.html)).

Richard

topless
07-11-2007, 08:38 AM
Thanks for the link. Now, all I have to do is take this pail to the local chemical disposal. I'm tired of moving it around and based on that, I will not be adding it to my pool.