PDA

View Full Version : pool pump

minermom
07-03-2007, 12:45 PM
After finally being able to prime and start the pump to our pool (long story..problems with pool krete and getting contractor to fix.....) I awoke to the pump running but no water going through skimmer. (I'm not sure how long this was, as we left the pump running overnight). Anyway, I backwashed the filter again, and restarted the pump on filter and now it's ok.
Anyone have any thoughts or advice on why this happened or how to prevent it again?:confused:
Thanks alot
Kerrie

Poconos
07-03-2007, 07:09 PM
Kerrie,
What was the pressure when the flow was nil? If it was zero then there was a suction side block or for some reason the pump lost prime and could not reprime. If the pressure was high then the filter was probably just plugged with dirt and backwashing solved the issue. If flow was stopped because of a filter block and subsequent high pressure then you are lucky. With no water flowing in the pump the pump will just heat up the water that's there and do heat damage the pump housing and/or the pipe fittings. If you have even a little flow this won't happen. Did you have an unusually high amount of dirt in the pool or an algae bloom that could have plugged the filter? I also assume you have a sand filter.
Al

minermom
07-05-2007, 02:02 PM
Yes, actually there was alot of algae. The backwashing seems to have done the trick.
Thanks alot for your help
Kerrie