PDA

View Full Version : Using 12.5% chlorine

shadowman
07-02-2007, 02:05 PM
I need to supershock my pool. What is the best way to add 12.5% liquid chlorine? Through the skimmer or over the side? My vinyl liner is already losing its pattern from pouring the 6% stuff over the side.

KurtV
07-02-2007, 02:39 PM
If you don't have an inline chlorinator, adding it slowly to the skimmer should be fine. If you do have an inline chlorinator you should never add any form of chlorine through the skimmer.

shadowman
07-02-2007, 03:17 PM
Carl do you agree? I know his vacation strategy is to have someone add chlorine via the skimmer every other day but it's probably not 12%. I do have an inline chlorine injector but it is designed for trichlor pucks. I used the bleach calculator and added 2.5 gals through the skimmer so I hope it doesn't eat anything. :eek:

aylad
07-02-2007, 03:37 PM
Carl does add bleach via the skimmer, but he doesn't use trichlor pucks. The danger with adding bleach (or liquid chlorine) through the skimmer with trichlor in the feeder is the possibility that the chlorine will react with the trichlor before it's sufficiently mixed with water, and cause a chemical reaction that is explosive. I would stick with adding it "over the side", but if you will pour it slowly in front of your return, then the jet from the return will disperse the chlorine before it has a chance to eat up your liner.

Janet

shadowman
07-02-2007, 03:47 PM
Thanks for the caution! My feeder is empty and turned to 0 so it shouldn't be a problem (I hope).

KurtV
07-02-2007, 04:11 PM
I'd run the chlorinator wide open for a day or two, just to make sure all the tri-chlor is flushed out, and then close it (turn to zero) before adding bleach through the skimmer.