PDA

View Full Version : How much borax to add

halds
04-24-2006, 04:23 PM
I am a little confused about how to use borax.

Should it be used solely as a pH increaser (in the place of sodium carbonate). Or is there an advantage of having a certain optimal level of barox in the water. e.g. adding x amount to establish a certain level and then adjusting the pH back with muratic acid.

Is there a way (or a need) to test the amount of sodium tetraborate in the water?

In the pool tips, it was recommended to add 1/2 box of borax /10,000 gal starting up..... how big is the box????

Hal

CrisL
04-25-2006, 02:35 PM
If you google proteam supreme, you will find some stuff related to the use of tetraborate (proteam is a pool additive very similar to borax, but much more expensive) and its use as an algaecide. Adding large amounts apparently works to help keep the water clear. The makers do have testing kits to see how much is in the pool.

Many people here use borax because it raises ph without also raising alkalinity much and it appears to help stabilize ph - once the ph is where you want it, it stays there better. Borax generally comes in one size box (three pounds?) The amount you use as a ph increaser will never get you to the amounts recommended for algacidal properties, so if ph increasing is what you want, you really do not have to measure the amount in the pool. Use about 1/2 box, wait, test and use some more based on the results you got with 1/2 box.

PoolDoc
04-25-2006, 03:51 PM
If you google proteam supreme, you will find some stuff related to the use of tetraborate (proteam is a pool additive very similar to borax, but much more expensive) and its use as an algaecide.

Proteam Supreme is *like* borax, the same way BioLab's Balance Pak 100 is *like* baking soda.:rolleyes:

. . . Proteam Supreme *IS* borax!

The algicidal properties are unproven, and I've never seen any evidence that borax makes the water clearer. But, it won't precipitate calcium carbonate (making it cloudy) the way baking soda can, if the pH and calcium levels are high.

Ben
"PoolDoc"

PoolDoc
04-25-2006, 03:55 PM
I am a little confused about how to use borax.

Should it be used solely as a pH increaser (in the place of sodium carbonate). Or is there an advantage of having a certain optimal level of barox in the water. e.g. adding x amount to establish a certain level and then adjusting the pH back with muratic acid.

Is there a way (or a need) to test the amount of sodium tetraborate in the water?

In the pool tips, it was recommended to add 1/2 box of borax /10,000 gal starting up..... how big is the box????

In reverse order:

As far as I know, borax is retailed in only one size, a 4# 12oz green box found in the laundry section of many stores.

You can test for borates in pool water, with test strips. There is also a kit. But, the main reason to test, is to try to maintain the borate levels recommended by the "Proteam" program. I've never been convinced that there was much to that, so I've never bothered with testing.

You are welcome to use borax, from the green box, or the much more expensive Proteam containers, however you like. However, the only value I *know* that it has, is as a non-carbonate pH increaser.

Ben
"PoolDoc"

mwsmith2
04-25-2006, 04:08 PM
Welp, I bit the bullet and dropped $10 for a vial of 25 test strips. I've added borax to the 40 or so ppm level before, but haven't had a way to see where I'm at now. I initially did it for the purported algaecidal properties, so now that I can maintain the ~40 ppm level, I'll be able to report back on if it really does help or not. I know that as the water gets warmer, I always end up fighting mustard, regardless of my Cl level. The only thing that seems to reliably knock it down is polyquat.

I figure I'll get them in a week or so, and then I'll keep tabs on how it goes. If I can avoid using polyquat, that'll be great. I'm not holding my breath though! ;)

Michael

cleancloths
04-25-2006, 05:16 PM
This is not a scientific study BUT I have used Borax in my pool for about 7 years to keep the pH up and have NEVER EVER had any algae whatsoever.

rrwcm
04-25-2006, 08:18 PM
For those of you who want to try Borax... I spend several days trying to find a local supply of 20 Mule Team Borax (Kroger, WalMart, Sams, Home Depot, Lowes, Janitoral Supply, plus many more). I was about to give up when I finally found it at KMart. Cost was about $3.95 per box.

PS: Am I the only one who remembers Ronald Reagan's 20 Mule Team
commercials?

halds
04-26-2006, 10:36 AM
Thank you Ben and everyone who responded....

I had never been shopping for borax before, and did not realize that it was sold in only one size box. I was able to get the green box from Walmart here.

Cleancloths, I'm impressed that you've never had algae. Did you have algae before you started using borax?

Hal

CrisL
04-27-2006, 04:36 PM
The reason I indicated that borax is "like" proteam supreme is that the proteam version is less hydrated than the version in borax so if you look at teh exact chemical name, you will see a difference. Proteam is slightly more concentrated in borates because there is slightly less water.