PDA

View Full Version : Pump broke so SWG cant work- slime-what to do?

melifair
06-28-2007, 09:22 PM
I have an Intex vinyl AGP, (12'x20'x48") holding just under 5K gallons and a couple of weeks ago I got their own make salt water chlorine generator.
All seemed well, the machine showed it was producing chlorine, but each time I tested the water (with a strip) it showed no chlorine was present, also the pool was getting progressively slimier on the sides and bottom each day.
I took a sample of water to the pool shop and they also showed no chlorine. Also low calcium and low alkalanity.
They said that as I had not added stabilizer and the weather had been very hot, the chlorine produced was just disappearing. So they gave me stabilizer and said to add it slowly to the skimmer as the pump was running.
At the moment I was prepared to do that, the pump broke. End of its life.
I ordered a new one, but it wont be here till next Tuesday June 3.
The pool is now standing in the hot sun getting super-slimey I am sure!
Is there anything I can do to help it until the new pump arrives and I can add the stabilizer and then get the generator going? I don't really want to get one of those huge jugs of chlorine I see outside the pool shop. Maybe some bleach?
And, once the pump and generator are working, and the stabilizer added - will it be able to undo all the nastiness of the past two weeks???
Thanks for any help!

NWMNMom
06-28-2007, 09:50 PM
Don't wait! Get some bleach in there and circulate it some way, some how or you will spend a lot of time undoing a mess. You don't have to necessarily filter if you simply cannot get a filter/pump on there (better to) but circulate and chlorinate at the very least

Phillbo
06-28-2007, 10:20 PM
bleach and brush ..

melifair
06-29-2007, 01:03 PM
Thank you! Thank you! How much bleach for just under 5K gallons?
And will any residual bleach have an effect when the pump and chlorine get going? Like...are they explosive or anything together? (sorry - I did not ever do physics !)

haze_1956
06-29-2007, 03:49 PM
Bleach is chlorine, same stuff the SWG makes,

Add a 3 quart jug to start, that will put you around 9 ppm

Brush the pool, that will mix the bleach and get the gunk in solution to be eaten up.