PDA

View Full Version : Liner Deteriorated!!

pcasey61
06-26-2007, 07:20 PM
Hi;
I have had my pool for 11 years. The first 10 years I really only concentrated on keeping the Chlorine level in check, occasionally I would check and try to adjust the PH, but I never got too involved in ballancing the water too precisely. The water was always fine for swimming and the liner lasted 9 years.
Last year, I started using the BBB method around the same time I got a new liner and the pool seemed fine. When I opened the pool this year, the blue liner was completely white below the water line. It just ripped and when I checked it, the entire liner was brittle and almost felt like it was paper. Could this be caused by using the BBB method, or could it be because I used too much bleach and hurt the liner. Any help is greatly appreciated.

JohnT
06-26-2007, 09:03 PM
Could this be caused by using the BBB method, or could it be because I used too much bleach and hurt the liner. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Sounds like pH was way too low. Unless the bleach was at an insane level, there's no way. What is in the water is no different with bleach than it is with any other chlorine, the delivery is just different.

Spensar
06-27-2007, 12:11 AM
pcasey, where are you located? Do you have a winter where to pool freezes solid for a few months, or stays unfrozen all year?

NWMNMom
06-27-2007, 08:44 AM
My pool freezes solid and the liner is just fine. My guess is also the PH.

pcasey61
06-27-2007, 10:35 AM
I am in Boston,and the pool does freeze for 3 months.Also,I have been leaving it uncovered all winter. Might this have an effect?

ChuckD
06-27-2007, 10:59 AM
I am in Boston,and the pool does freeze for 3 months.Also,I have been leaving it uncovered all winter. Might this have an effect?

FWIW, I'm upstate NY with a 7 year old liner (Imperial). I only use a leaf net over the winter and mine hasn't shown any degradation in two years of ownership (and BBB).

chem geek
06-27-2007, 11:21 AM
pcasey61,

I have a list of questions for you and please don't be offended by any of them. I just want to try and figure out what is different from before. Of course, the problem could just be with the new liner itself. With our opaque safety cover, it started to wear through in one area after only 2 years even though it has a 7 year warranty. The warranty pays full replacement cost up to 3 years so we had it replaced last year and the new one seems much more supple than the first one (even during its first year). The installer said that they sometimes get a bad cover but most last longer (usually 5-9 years -- hence the 7-year warranty).

What was your source of chlorine before you switched to BBB? I believe from your previous posts that you put chlorine pucks in the skimmer, is that right? I assume these were Trichlor, but were they BioGuard Smart Sticks designed to be put into the skimmer or were they regular Trichlor pucks? Was the pump running 24/7 and if not, for how long each day?

In this thread (http://www.poolforum.com/pf2/showthread.php?t=3045) of yours last year on June 19th, you wanted to switch to BBB and you found your chlorine level at zero and was eating right through the pucks. You also got no reading on pH (I don't understand that) and that the pool store said your pH was well below 7 and that the Alkalinity was 0. Was this situation AFTER you got your new liner? If so, then the very low pH was most likely the cause of the problem this year.

How have you been adding your chlorine (bleach?) to your pool? Is the pump running when you add the chlorine? Do you add it slowly over a return or into the skimmer or distribute it around the pool? Did the vinyl tear occur in the area where you regularly pour chlorine (if you pour it in the same spot each time) or did it occur on the sunny side of the pool?

Richard

doggie
06-27-2007, 12:30 PM
If it was me, I'd call the people who installed the liner and see what they have to say about it. Also I'd check with my homeowners insurance. A friend of mine said his insurance would pay for a replacement liner when his wore out. That seems odd to me, but he swears that's what they said they'd do.

Also, it took a few years of low PH due to pucks before our liner finally turned white and wore out. I wouldn't think low PH would do it that fast??

cleancloths
06-27-2007, 04:46 PM
Don't buy the insurance thing, insurance covers sudden and unexpected loss not gradual wear / loss.

doggie
06-27-2007, 08:03 PM
Don't buy the insurance thing, insurance covers sudden and unexpected loss not gradual wear / loss.

My friend said his regular home owners insurance covers the pool liner because he has full replacement value insurance. He said he had spoken directly to his agent and had asked specifically about the liner needing replacement because he thought he accidently shredded part of it, and they said yes. I thought that was quite odd.... but you never know.

He ended up repairing a leak instead of replacing, so who knows if they would have actually followed thru with their promise on the phone. It can't hurt to call your agent and ask. Worst thing they can say is no. :)

lisascakes
07-04-2007, 04:32 PM
I do know that our insurance company paid to have out liner replaced & installed when it was damaged by a hail storm.

cleancloths
07-04-2007, 04:44 PM
I do know that our insurance company paid to have out liner replaced & installed when it was damaged by a hail storm.

Yes, that is because it was a sudden loss - not a gradual deterioration. You would expect insurance to cover that.

poolmom06
07-06-2007, 03:39 AM

Dang, wish I had known that, we just replaced our liner and had the insurance guy out to look at our roof following a wind/hail storm.... the old liner had a hole in it from hail....
I didn't think they would cover it!!!, Next time I will know!! How much $$ do they cover??