PDA

View Full Version : Overstabilization?

crazimom
04-24-2006, 01:39 PM
Ok, I know I have so much to learn....however. Going the liquid bleach route sounds so scary to me. If i use Stabilized tablets in my feeder and Turboshock(ca hypo) will I still get overstabilized ? My numbers are good right now. Cya=60

thilbert
04-24-2006, 01:45 PM
Don't let it scare you. For me, there is no better bang for your buck. I spend far, far less money now that I use bleach (spend about $12 month).

Using the pucks will continue to increase your levels of CYA, that's just the way it is.

If I may ask, what is your concern regarding the bleach? Perhaps we can find some way of mitigating it.

mwsmith2
04-24-2006, 02:20 PM
I'd consider you are at the upper end of where I'd like to be with CYA. Aso for using bleach, well, it's really not that scary! I feel it's safer and easier than tablets. Bleach doesn't make me choke...but catch a bit of dust off the tabs and HOO BOY! *GACK*

Michael

DavidD
04-24-2006, 02:31 PM
Ok, I know I have so much to learn....however. Going the liquid bleach route sounds so scary to me. If i use Stabilized tablets in my feeder and Turboshock(ca hypo) will I still get overstabilized ? My numbers are good right now. Cya=60

Crazimom,

Yes, it sounded scary to me as well. After asking what I thought were the professionals in the beginning (a local pool store), It reinforced that fear. However, (and Thank Goodness) I researched further and found poolsoutions.com. Ben's comments and methods made perfect sense. Sodium hypochlorite is identical to liquid shock, just weaker in concentration. They (the pool store) suggested I buy their liquid shock if I wanted to use a liquid. This made me wonder how the pool store could make such comments (bleach will eat it up man!). I then realized they were ignorant. I don't mean that in a bad way, just the way Webster's defines the word. I went the bleach route not because of the financial savings but because I believe it's the best way to know exactly what I'm adding to my water-Chlorine & saltwater. These days, it's hard to know what's in what. Also, I wanted to keep my sanitizer in check so the family would stay healthy.
Now, to answer your question, YES. If you continue to use stabilized tablets in your feeder you will eventually get "over stabilized". With a CYA level of 60ppm now (which is already higher than I personally like mine), I'll guess it will take a few of months or so. Maybe longer, maybe less. Depends on the size of your pool, feed rate etc. Also, by "Turboshocking", you will eventually make your water to hard. Both CYA and CH can only be reduced by water replacement.
Can you effectively run a pool this way? That answer is also YES. Ben, the forum moderator, has come up with a best guess chart that illustrates the chlorine levels that are required to keep an algae free pool at different CYA levels. Your FC (free chlorine) level should be 5ppm min according to this chart. Ben likes to reiterate that this is only his "best guess" but I must attest to the accuracy, as most everyone else here will as well. I also look at it from the stand point that if algae can grow, what else can live in the water? By adhering to this best guess chart, I've yet to get an algae bloom, knock on wood.
Either way you go, just be be sure you are in control of your water. Don't rely on others that may or may not have your families best interest in mind. Get a good test kit and do the research and make the decision for yourself.

Dave

Watermom
04-24-2006, 05:38 PM
Crazimom - You say that your numbers are good. The only actual number you posted was your cya. I would suggest posting all your numbers. I'm especially interested in seeing what your calcium hardness reading is since you are using cal-hypo. As far as using the bleach, give it a try. It can't get any easier than opening a bottle of bleach and slowly pouring it into the skimmer. As the others have already said, your cya is already at the upper end of acceptable at 60. I actually don't like mine to be that high. Using pucks, it is going to continue to rise. You don't want that. Post some numbers for us to look at and give the bleach a try. I don't think you'll be sorry.

Watermom

jmcst25
04-26-2006, 08:48 PM
Yes - using tabs will over stabilize (Raise CYA) and raise your ALK and Cal Hypo will raise your Calcium level. The only way to reduce these # is to drain and refill.

Within a year of of getting a pool - I had CYA >200 and continual algae problems. I was skeptical at first about bleach -- but found this forum - I switch to bleach and kept it in control using the adjusted chart for higher Cl. This worked -- but was difficult to maintain the high CL -- I drained and refilled to get the CYA down -- (it's was alot cheaper) -- now I use some bleach at that's about all I have to do.

Bleach is my choice -- but when I can budget the convience - I'll switch to salt.