PDA

View Full Version : adding cya

tara15
06-24-2007, 11:03 AM
How do you add your cya? ive added mine to the skimmer basket and through the filter, but right now im battling an algea bloom and i had no choice but to backwash, so i probably lost all of my stablalizer. I thought i read once that you added it to a sock and just hung it in the pool? is this the same stabalizer that you can get at leslies that comes in granular form?

Thanks

Tara

Watermom
06-24-2007, 11:12 AM
Yes to the sock method and I'm sure it is a yes to the Leslie's granular although I have never been to a Leslie's before. As far as adding CYA, I do add mine through the skimmer. If it were my pool, I wouldn't worry about adding any more CYA until the algae was clear. On the other hand, if you want to go ahead and use the sock method, that is fine. You'll be needing to run your pump 24/7 right now anyways while you are trying to clear the pool so it will help the cya get dissolved fairly quickly, although it still will take several days.

tara15
06-24-2007, 11:19 AM
ive been fighting the algea for almost a week now. Its a light green and cloudy and just wont go away. right now my numbers are
cya 0(i have a few floaties in the pool with tabs to try and help but i know that isnt the answer)
fc 10
cc-?(i dont have a test kit that reads that plus im diluting so im not sure if it would even be accurate)
ph 7.4
alk 100

I vacuum and brush daily to no avail. I add about 1.5 gallons of bleach per day. anything else i can do?

thanks

CarlD
06-24-2007, 12:27 PM
1) Are you testing your chlorine and adding bleach as needed 3 times a day? If not, you need to do that.
2) Can you boost the FC up to 15ppm and keep it there? You dilute another time if you don't have the test kit.
3) Floaters filled with Tri-Chlor isn't a bad thing--they will dump in CYA and chlorine constantly, which is good. But watch your pH--it will drive them down.
4) Are you running your filter 24/7? You should be

You should be on the right track, but kicking everything up a notch may get you over the top. A real clue that you are struggling still with algae is the FC dropping all the time.

Still, it's not unheard of for a full-blown war on algae to take 2 weeks.

Also, ordering a Taylor K2006 or Leslies FAS-DPD Chlorine Service Test kit will make the testing much easier and more accurate, and will allow you to track your CYA level.

chem geek
06-24-2007, 01:40 PM
If you want to increase your CYA and chlorine levels simultaneously you can use Dichlor where for every 1 ppm FC you add, you also add 0.9 ppm CYA. It dissolves quickly (unlike CYA and Trichlor tabs) and is not as acidic as Trichlor (though it's still acidic after chlorine gets used up). Just be sure to not add too much as you want SOME CYA, but not too much (even 10 ppm will help, but keep it under 30 ppm total). Getting some CYA in your pool will help keep the FC level consistent during the day, but as Carl says you need to shock consistently in order to get ahead of the algae growth.

In your situation, it sounds like the lack of CYA prevents you from maintaining chlorine levels so the algae is growing faster than the chlorine can kill it off. Essentially, it's as if you are battling two creatures simultaneously -- algae and sunlight. By getting some CYA in your pool, you can prevent sunlight from interfering with your battle against the algae.

Richard

tara15
06-24-2007, 04:40 PM
ok, so i got a product called instant pool water conditioner made by natural chemistry. Richard recommended it to me over at troublefreepool.com. If i add the jug since i have a 10000 gallon pool it will give me 32 ppm of cya.
My only question is that since i have an algea bloom and i vacuum to waste, wouldnt i be taking out the cya then also? I would then have to redose in the future once the algea was gone. Should i just vacuum through the filter and backwash as needed then?

as far as the filter i am running it 24/7 and adding bleach 2x per day, once in the am and once in the pm.

thanks

chem geek
06-24-2007, 05:58 PM
True, but you should have SOME CYA in the pool or else you'll lose far more chlorine from sunlight than the relatively small amount of CYA you will lose from your vacuum to waste.

tara15
06-25-2007, 04:51 PM
ok so after adding the gallon of stabalizer here are my numbers
cya 35
alk 100
ph 7.2
fc 10

I will bump up my fc to at least 15, brush and vacuum daily so no i guess its just playing the waiting game.

Thanks
Tara

tara15
06-26-2007, 01:04 PM
ok just an update. The pool is a greenish blue and clear. Im running the pump 24/7 and keeping my fc at least 20ppm. I know its a little high for a cya of 35 but ive been fighting this for over a week and i want this cleared up for the 4th. Is it safe to swim at these levels, since i have to go in and vacuum or should i try and vacuum from the outside?

also, how are your feelings of polyquat once the algea is gone? do you use it regularly for maintanance and does it work?

thanks again for all your help

Tara

CarlD
06-26-2007, 01:43 PM
Polyquat's good stuff as a preventative. Add a couple of ounces a week. Expect FC to drop within 24-48 hours from it.

day1
06-26-2007, 05:02 PM
Anytime I hear the word "instant" tagged onto pool chemicals, I tend to RUN!!

tara15
06-26-2007, 07:24 PM
well i tried the regular granular form of conditioner twice and it failed to take, however the instant conditioner recommended to me worked well and now my pool is starting to clear by allowing the cholorine to work more effectively. So in this case instant isnt so bad.

Tara

tara15
06-27-2007, 10:19 AM
another update....pool is finally blue. fc is holding at about 20ppm. when should i let it start to drift down to maintanance levels? should i keep it up there for another day? also, when should i add the polyquat for preventative measures? thanks for all your help

Tara

CarlD
06-27-2007, 10:22 AM
Adding the PolyQuat will cause your FC to drop. You can add it now if you want, but I'd keep a daily or twice-daily check on levels.

jhm
06-27-2007, 07:55 PM
A real clue that you are struggling still with algae is the FC dropping all the time.
I didn't know that. I've been battling mustard algae lately. I don't seen any now, but I go through a gallon of chlorine (10%) a day (25k gallon pool). My CYA is at 40. I thought the loss was due to sunlight (so. cal) but maybe I haven't won the battle after all.

What do you think?

Thanks!

chem geek
06-27-2007, 08:05 PM
jhm,

See if the chlorine drops overnight. If it does, you've got algae or something consuming your chlorine. If not, then the losses are due mostly to sunlight.

Richard