PDA

View Full Version : something is alive in my pool...

phooka
06-19-2007, 04:58 PM
I had a bad outbreak of algae about a week ago. I think it was due to adding too much cya. Anyway.. I have shocked it pretty good with plain bleach to the point it's just cloudy now. The CL level is still too high for me to get a really good measurement right now since I don't have a decent test kit. Using the dilution method it appears to be about 25ppm-30ppm (however accurate that can be).

Today trying to get rid of some of the cya, and lower the CL level a bit I noticed there are critters living in the pool now! about 5-6" underwater they seem to have little wings and more or less hover in place. What the heck are these and what am I doing here?

hep!

thanks.
dale

ScottS
06-19-2007, 05:11 PM
Sounds like you have some water boatmen or critter as such. Do some searching and look in the Pool and Critter forum for some information.

It is not uncommon to have these during an algae bloom and there are different kinds but I can't remember the names.
Some of them are also very resilient to even high chlorine levels so it takes time to get rid of them.

You can skim them out but you have to be pretty quick. Be sure to squish them or spray them to kill them too. If not they may end up right back in the water.

Good luck with your fight.

NWMNMom
06-19-2007, 06:40 PM
Oh yes, sounds like Boatmen (pictures are posted on this site too) and they have been known to bite. Not often but someone posted something last year on them biting. They flip right off the skimmer net if you are not quick - they like to hang on the ladders, steps, pool cleaner hoses, etc. They all have to come up for air so get them when they do.

phooka
06-20-2007, 06:13 PM
Here's a picture of the critter in question.

http://www.everysky.net/photos/main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_itemId=3756&g2_serialNumber=2

ScottS
06-20-2007, 08:49 PM
Yep that's a water boatman. Heres a closer look

http://home.centurytel.net/sha/smithlake/images/Waterboatman.gif
Also taken from the site (http://home.centurytel.net/sha/smithlake/plant%20and%20animal%20life/animal%20life/wateranimals.html) is this description:

"The water boatman has flat hairy oar like legs. They use them to swim quickly through the water. Their mouths are weak. They eat algae. Water boatmen are the only water bug that don’t have a painful bite."

This description makes me question the validity of others saying they bite. Then again, I don't know how valid the above description is.

Regardless, you know what the bug is. :)

phooka
06-21-2007, 06:44 AM
yech.. truth is i've been afraid to tell my wife they are in there. she probably will never get in the pool again.. :eek:

dale

Sumo1
06-21-2007, 09:43 AM
We're currently staying at a beach house with a pool and yesterday I had to battle 10 or 15 of them. I saw one of them that had been tossed out of the pool "jump" up, catch a breeze, and "fly" about 15' right back into the pool. Be sure to smash them;) .
Hal