PDA

View Full Version : cloudy but not green

pearls
06-18-2007, 09:09 AM
Please help!!! I am two weeks before my daughter's 16th birthday Pool party and have been working on my pool for 3 weeks. It started out really green. I did the pool store stuff of clorine, drop out, algecide, etc. I have vaccumed, scrubbed and and almost $200 later I started the bleach regimine. I have put in gal after gal after gal of bleach. The pool is now blue but cloudy. I do have to admit that with the bleach I put in algecide which helped take the algae off the walls. I also added a bottle of pool store clarifier. I am very new at this so I will post what I know, please help me with the rest.

My pool is above ground 24' round. I am using a 1hp Hayward sand filter. I have backwashed and green came out only a little while, then milky/clear water. My current readings after adding 4 more gallons of bleach today are:

Clorine - off the scale the water in the tester actually turned orange. then I did the "shot glass" method and after one shot of distilled water mixed withone shot of pool water my chlorine is at 10

Alkalinity test shows 180
pH is 7.2
CYA 40

I don't know what to do.

drband
06-18-2007, 10:30 AM
Keep the chlorine at 10-15, brush and vacuum daily, and be patient. Use only the bleach. If you have not downloaded bleachcalc, you might want to do that. It will give you a better idea of how much bleach to add. Keep an eye on your filter pressure gauge. If it goes up by 4-5 pounds over normal, you'll need to backwash.

pearls
06-18-2007, 02:52 PM
I've downloaded the bleachcal but I have no idea what the blocks are asking for, I am very new to this, just an old mom trying to get my pool clean.
Are you telling me to keep adding bleach (I'll do 2 gal at a time) and it will eventually clear up>

daisy11
06-18-2007, 04:19 PM
You need to get your cl to shock level and keep it there until the cl holds overnight. You can dilute the pool water more to test higher levels (4 shots distilled water to 1 shot pool water, multiply test result by 4, for example). Look at the best guess chart, you need to get your cl level to at least 15ppm and keep it there. If you can, test 3 times a day and add bleach each time bring it back up to 15ppm. Run the filter 24/7, brush daily and be patient....you'll have a clear pool soon. It is crucial that you keep the cl up to shock level, the more it yo-yos up and down, the longer it will take.

I have a 24 ft AG (52") and 1 gal of ultra (6%) bleach adds a little more than 4 ppm to my pool.

Good luck!