PDA

View Full Version : Cloudy and frustrated

Toddro
06-18-2007, 02:02 AM
I've spent several hours on the forum but still need an answer. I have 11000 Gal AG w sand filter. Using a Wallmart test kit the readings are:
TC: over the chart, but with dilution = 6.0
PH 7.0
Alk 90
CYA 65

Before my opening attempt, water was pretty clear but covered with leaves and algea on bottom. The kids decided it would be fun to stir up the muck with the brush. I started 1.3 gals of bleach a day, keeping TC at about 6.0 and running the filter 24/7. The water quickly turned blue, but very cloudy for a couple of weeks now. Visibility has remained at only about 2 feet. There are very decomposed leaves floating up from the bottom, but it is too cloudy to vacum.

I have figured out I need to probably keep the TC at shock level for a number of days. My big question is, what would be considered shock level? Ben's best guess chart uses FC, not TC which is the only chlorine measurement I can do.

I really should get Ben's test kit, but it sounds like he is not shipping any right now. Any thoughts on this?

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Todd

KurtV
06-18-2007, 07:34 AM
You can buy a Taylor K-2006 test kit (just google it) or the Troublefree (http://www.tftestkits.com/)test kit (which is based on the K-2006 but a better value with its right-sized reagents).

Scoop as much of the junk as you can from the bottom with a leaf skimmer. Vacuuming to waste, even blindly, will help too.

While waiting for your new kit, to get close to shock level, add 3 gallons of 6% bleach; that will increase your chlorine by 17 ppm which from 6 ppm should get you into shock range (20 ppm for your level of CYA). Continue guestimate testing, using the dilution method, several times a day and return the water to shock level after each test. Download BleachCalc if you don't already have it to help you figure how much chlorine to add after each test.

heymom1
06-18-2007, 09:45 AM
Kurt, I'm thread-hopping this morning - I was hoping that Ben's kit was available but if you are recommending the Taylor kits, I guess Ben's is not being sold right now? Does the Trouble-Free include everything Ben's does? I will order one if it is very similar to Ben's. If I am going to do the BBB method I need a good test kit!

Thanks.

drband
06-18-2007, 10:22 AM
Hi... you need to scoop out and vacuum as much gunk as you can. (even blind) As long as you have much organic material in the pool, you will have cloudiness and it will take much longer to clear. Shocking is the way to go, but getting the gunk out is very important. It could take several days to clear, even after you get the gunk out. Stay with it and you WILL be successful. Then, just keep up w/ your levels and you'l have a great summer.

drband
06-18-2007, 10:25 AM
Oh... and shock level... with 65 cya, you should go to at least 15. With the amount of organic stuff you have, going to 20 and holding it there would probably be a good idea. I don't think you'll have any issues doing it that way and it might clear a little faster. Look for Ben's Best Guess CYA chart in the stickies.

Toddro
06-18-2007, 11:11 AM
Thanks all for the advice, it all make sense. I will order a kit today, and will get to work on scooping out what I can from the bottom of the pool.

Todd