PDA

View Full Version : Thinking about a solar cover...

leejp
06-16-2007, 08:44 PM
It's been a cool spring thus far here in the Northeast and my pool is barely 74*.

I've been avoiding getting a solar cover (asthetics + safety) but I'm about to break down get a cover + wheel.

I've never had one before so I've got a few questions.

I just installed a thepoolcleaner pressure side cleaner. The hose floats back/fourth in the pool. Can I leave the cleaner in the pool with the cover on? Seems like the floating tube will move the cover back/fourth with it... or does it just slide around under the cover?

How easy are leaves/debris to deal with? My pool is somewhat leafy (skimmer full in 2 days if not emptied). The debris will land on the cover correct?when the cover is wheeled up, does it just fall backl into the pool and you have to skim it?

OK to leave it on during rainstorms?

Thanks!

CanuckPool
06-16-2007, 09:43 PM
The only one I can answer is that you can leave it on during rainstorms.

NWMNMom
06-17-2007, 02:59 PM
We use the leaf rake to remove some debris before we roll up the cover, some falls off when we roll. The cover will help so much in keeping heat in your pool.

shadowman
06-18-2007, 12:10 AM
I sympathize with you on your cool pool. Here in NW Oregon our pool is 75 deg. We rely on solar panels on the roof of the house but you need sun for that to help.

I leave my Polaris in with the cover on all the time with no problem. Of course with the cover on there is less for him to do (we named him Robbie after the TV robot) because the debris stays on top of the cover. Not only will you save heat but you will save water loss caused by evaporation.

ChuckD
06-18-2007, 12:50 AM
It's been a cool spring thus far here in the Northeast and my pool is barely 74*.

I've been avoiding getting a solar cover (asthetics + safety) but I'm about to break down get a cover + wheel.

I've never had one before so I've got a few questions.

I just installed a thepoolcleaner pressure side cleaner. The hose floats back/fourth in the pool. Can I leave the cleaner in the pool with the cover on? Seems like the floating tube will move the cover back/fourth with it... or does it just slide around under the cover?

How easy are leaves/debris to deal with? My pool is somewhat leafy (skimmer full in 2 days if not emptied). The debris will land on the cover correct?when the cover is wheeled up, does it just fall backl into the pool and you have to skim it?

OK to leave it on during rainstorms?

Thanks!

Hey leejp, I'm just a bit north of you in Schenectady Co. Also at 1000' elevation. ~20K gal, vinyl, i/g.

Not sure how much my solar cover adds but two weekends ago I was in and the water was 76. No other heat source but direct sunshine. We're not there most of the time (weekend house till next month when we move in permanently) so the cover's on most of the time.

Can't speak about the pool cleaner, don't use one. But, yeah, inevitably debris on the cover comes off in the pool when you remove the cover. I don't sweat it too much, and this week will be taking delivery of a PoolSkim to help the one skimmer built in.

One thing I'd add: My solar blanket is the kind that's silver on one side and blue on the other so it's nearly opaque. My next one will be transparent which, in theory, may let more sun in to help warm the water. Something to think about.

Spensar
06-18-2007, 08:16 AM
Just a solar cover will do very, very, little to increase the temperature of the pool. The best utility of the cover is if you have a heater and the water temperature is heated to be higher than the night time temperature of the air. That results in a large loss of heat due to the evaporation, which is greatly mitigated with the use of a solar cover.

If you get a cover without any other heating, I will virtually guarantee that after a bit you will hardly use the cover.

leejp
06-18-2007, 09:17 AM
Just a solar cover will do very, very, little to increase the temperature of the pool. The best utility of the cover is if you have a heater and the water temperature is heated to be higher than the night time temperature of the air. That results in a large loss of heat due to the evaporation, which is greatly mitigated with the use of a solar cover.

If you get a cover without any other heating, I will virtually guarantee that after a bit you will hardly use the cover.

The solar cover is actually poorly named. It's really a blanket that prevents heat loss (particularly overnight). Early or late in the season here in the Northeast one can lose several degrees in one night.

mathey
06-18-2007, 09:39 AM
"Just a solar cover will do very, very, little to increase the temperature of the pool."

you're joking right?

My clear cover can get my pool well into the 90's (water temp is 86 today)

matt4x4
06-18-2007, 02:16 PM
I also believe a solar cover will increase your pool temps over the course of a sunny day - even a blue cover. I see it every day, and this season in particular have REALLY kept an eye on it because of all the controversy in this forum last year.
Here's my case:
My pool - 30 foot round (pool A)
Neighbour's pool 24 foot round (pool B)
- both located in identical locations 300 feet appart - full sun all day
I use a cover, neighbour tossed his due to age this spring.

Springtime - I didn't cover either - pool temps identical all the time every day.

Once we got pools cleaned up, we both started to run the timers 9-5 on our pumps, I covered my pool up. My temps slowly started to increase, maybe half to full degree per day, some of that heat was retained overnight - yes, but every day I gained on his pool over the course of the day. after about 2 weeks, my pool was 7 degrees warmer.

If I leave my pump off for a sunny day with a blue cover, the water for about 4-6" under the cover is about 98 degrees, once I turn the pump on for about 3 hours, the entire pool has averaged an increase of about 4 degrees - my neighbour's on the other hand may pick up 2 degrees in that same day without a cover.
remember that evaporation cools while the sun heats, with a solar cover, you don't get the evaporation - therefore, more heat gain.

project is now canned since I fixed my solar panels and they are now operational, so any further comparison is not accurate anymore.

I also believe that the darker blue actually attracts a little more heat than a lighter blue liner would. - a black cover would attract even more, as long as it's able to transfer that heat through to the water it is in contact with, your pool would definitely heat up more.
A clear cover would allow the entire liner (walls and all) to attract heat and because of the cover, almost no heat is removed due to evaporation - I have yet to find out which cover is best - clear - blue or black, however, I truly feel after this spring that a cover is certainly more advantageous than no cover.

One last benefit you have with a cover is that you're not topping your pool up nearly as much as without a cover, and when you add water from the hose, it's really cold (about 65 degrees) compared to the pool water which could potentially lower your entire pool temp by about 1 degree if you need to add 3 inches.

leejp
06-18-2007, 02:48 PM
Craigslist comes through again!

http://hudsonvalley.craigslist.org/hsh/328292007.html

New Horizone Elite HV-10 reel
New Roebelle 18x36 Solar cover

Both items were listed at $186 but the seller let me have it for $175. Couldn't pass that deal up!

I actually have an old solar cover in pretty good condition that the previous owner of the house left with the pool so I threw that on yesterday. The pool cleaner seems to be doing fine underneath the cover.

It'll be sunny with 82~90*F highs and 57~65*F lows this week so it'll be an ideal time to test the effectiveness (both temperature and FC consumption)