PDA

View Full Version : Heat Pump during Summer..

Bppool
04-24-2006, 10:32 AM
Just wondering if there is anything special to do with our Heat Pump during Summer when it does not run? Should we leave the flow going thru it or should we bypass it? Thanks for the help in advance...

cleancloths
04-24-2006, 04:07 PM
I always leave the flow going through mine, that way if the temperature drops it will automatically maintain the desired temperature. That aside, I would think it better to leave it with flow rather than by-pass it unless you plan to totally drain and rinse it. If you just valve it out you will leave chlorinated water in it and as the temperature changes you may end up with a higher potential to corrode the exchanger than with a steady flow. I have operated mine for over 8 years this way with no problems.

DavidD
04-24-2006, 05:54 PM
It would probably be best to bypass all together in order to prevent scaling & or corrosion of the heat exchanger if you can and are not going to use it this summer. My Jandy has a titanium heat exchanger and the manual even mentioned that a bypass was not necessary so the manufacturer didn't think in mattered. Nor did I as I don't have a way to bypass however, if it didn't have the Titanium, I would have installed a way to do so.
Now the wife and kids on the other hand think we have a 16,000 gallon hot tub as they have been known to get the pool up near 90 for night time swimming parties so they would say No........