PDA

View Full Version : Salty tasting water

bgray
06-09-2007, 01:17 PM
I had a pretty severe algae bloom this spring, due (a little) to extraordinary rain levels in N Texas, and (a lot) a pump out of service for a bit.

Once all equipment was functioning again, I attacked the bloom with bleach/brush technique. I also added CYA which is now 30 ppm.

I also added some tri-chlor tablets to my chlorinator, as I left for vacation.

Upon return, I took my water sample to Leslie's for testing.
pH 7.5
TA 80
TAC/FAC 0 (later shocked with bleach)

So, water looks GREAT. But, now it's salty tasting.

The guy at Leslie's asked me if I was running a salt pool!!! My TDS was 1900.
He said that a lot of samples have been testing high. Thought it might me in the tap. But, I haven't added water in weeks. (In fact, I've drained some off - lotsa rain!)

Any idea? I used bleach all last summer, but did not experience this.
Thanks.

Poolsean
06-09-2007, 11:35 PM
Usually a dull looking, metallic tasting water is associated with high TDS. This is not always salt, however, bleach will add salt to your pool. With high TDS, your chlorine will be less effective. If this is salt, it will not affect your chlorine effectiveness.

According to EPA, 200 ppm of salt is the point at which salt can be detected in drinking water (at least that's what the EPA maximum salinity standard is for drinking water)

Leslie's should be able to do a TDS test and a Salinity test.

You should take a sample of your fill water and have them test that to see what your TDS of the tap water is. Rule of thumb is that if you do not have a salt pool and your TDS is more than 1000 ppm higher than your source water, you should drain some down and dilute it.

mkamp1515
06-18-2007, 11:50 AM
Hey bgray, mkamp here. The rain has been fun hasn't it? I have just made sure to test my water several times a week and have been lucky enough to stay ahead of it with no problems so far. I have been running the chlorine levels up more than usual to keep problems away. A pump being out would result in a quick problem that is for sure. See you at the football meetings!