PDA

View Full Version : PH too high?

Islander2C
06-09-2007, 09:21 AM
Hello everyone.
Well for this year I used bleach only and I was so nervous, but it worked out beautifully and so much cheaper.
Only had to add 7 (3.6L of liquid bleach at 5.25%) containers and 2 boxes of 500g baking soda and my water is perfectly balanced!
Only one little problem maybe. my pH is reading 8.0 which came down from 9, but the pool store told me that was too high and I knew that. They suggested I use 500g of Easy Down.
Does that sound right with all of you?
Would that reading of 8 keep my pool water from being "crystal clear" because I have been vacuuming every day and levels are all ok, but my water is not as "clear" as I would like it.
Any suggestions would be much appreciated!
We finally have a warm day and my son is so anxious to get in that pool.(27 AG - no heater) even with the water only around 70! yikes!
If I add something to lower pH can people still swim in water today?

mbar
06-09-2007, 09:59 AM
You can use muriatic acid to lower your ph, and can swim right after - it is diluted in your pool water:) . Be careful with it -open it downwind, and pour into the return water flow. You didn't post your other numbers. Sometimes high ph along with high alkalinity can cause your water to not look "crystal clear" but there are a lot of reasons that water can be a little cloudy:(

Islander2C
06-09-2007, 05:49 PM
Here are my other numbers
pH 8.0
Total Alkalinity 110
Calcium Hardness 120
Free Chlorine 2.0
Total Chlorine 2.0
Combined chlorineC 0.0
Stablizer 50

Watermom
06-09-2007, 08:53 PM
Bring the ph down a bit with muriatic acid as Marie advised. Also, with cya of 50, you need to keep your chlorine between 3-6 all the time. 2.0 is too low and is an invitation to algae. Your alk and calcium hardness numbers are fine.