PDA

View Full Version : Bought an AutoPilot, but should I install it?

Dan264
06-07-2007, 04:37 PM
I purchased an AutoPilot Dig-36. They shipped the cell only and then the control unit a week later due to a shipping snafu.

I was opening my pool and doing some plumbing so I installed the cell. I did this by gluing in a 1 1/2" reducer.

ONLY THEN did I read on here that SWGs were a bad idea for above ground pools. Oops!

I did not add salt or install (or even open) the control unit.

The pool store refused my RMA request because the system had been installed. In addition, he wrote
I wouldn't be worried about corrosion or rust from a SWG as this is a myth.
The fact is that the amount of salt in your water is so tiny that this would not happen, we get a lot of people skeptic about it but it is only a myth.

So is it a problem or not? My pool does have a steel frame.

Should I install it or Ebay it?

Poolsean
06-07-2007, 10:20 PM
Dan,

No need to worry. Please install the system and enjoy the extra freedom using your pool.

I would only suggest that you occasionally hose down the sides of your pool walls to wash off any salt residue on the steel. If you're getting weekly rainfall, this alone should be fine.

Sean

Poconos
06-08-2007, 10:15 AM
Dan,
I see you have only two posts so welcome to the forum. It is nice to see people finally getting active after having registered a long time ago. According to some, this forum is dying but it sure doesn't look like it from the activity level. To Sean and all the other regulars, thanks for your continued support.
Al

Poolsean
06-08-2007, 10:49 AM
No problem Al. Glad to help.

Dan264
06-08-2007, 01:20 PM
I've learned a ton here and saved myself a lot of money (my wife is not allowed to go to the pool store anymore!). I just never had any reason to post.

Plus the whole Ben thing has sort of an X-Files flavor to it.

Speaking of lurkers:

A man became a monk and joined a strict monastery where they were allowed to speak only two words every ten years. After the first ten years, he said, “Bed hard.” Ten years later, when it was his turn to speak, he said, “Food bad.” After another ten years, the monk once again said his two words, “I quit.” The monk in charge said, “I'm not all that surprised, because you've done nothing but complain since you got here.”