PDA

View Full Version : Floc or Clarifier?

Steamer
06-07-2007, 12:08 PM
Hey all, I got the winter debris out of the pool, and have been keeping the cl up to shock level going by the chart, but water is still a cloudy brownish green, to help clear it up I plan to use either floc or clarifier, any opinios on which works better?
Thanks.

PS this has been going on for about three weeks now, water was fairly clear before I started stirring up the stuff on the bottom.

webfeet
06-08-2007, 04:48 PM
I think the floc and clarifier are the same. I hope someone that knows for sure, will answer you question.

Sherra
06-08-2007, 05:06 PM
Floc will just "bind" the small particles together and make them sink to the bottom for you to vacuum out...which sounds like what your stuff is doing by itself if you don't stir it up. Waste of money in my opinion.

CarlD
06-08-2007, 09:30 PM
Try just vacuuming to waste to get that stuff out. When you aren't vacuuming, put a skimmer sock in your skimmer and clean it out. My skimmer socks have finally STOPPED getting so much pollen on them that it looked like yellow spackling paste!

If you must floc, use some Polyquat. Yes, the algaecide is also a flocculant. But if you use a lot, like a quart, expect your chlorine to plummet to 0 in 48 hours and be ready to shock it up at that point. It's not a bad idea--that's what I do just before I close in the fall.

I've never used clarifier, and have no idea why anyone would use it. If you follow the advice of this board, you probably never will need it.

mbar
06-09-2007, 10:10 AM
If your water is still cloudy "green", then you need more bleach - keep testing the water - at least 3x a day and get your chlorine level back up to shock according to the "best guess chart". The more you check, and return to shock, the faster your water will clear up. Keep doing this until your chlorine holds overnight. Keep the filter running 24/7, and use a skimmer sock. When the water is blue, vacuum to waste (if you can). If your water doesn't clear up by then - or if the vacuum isn't getting the dead algae out, it can be useful to use a little floc., but if wouldn't until my water was not green anymore.

Steamer
06-27-2007, 02:26 PM
Just to let everyone know that I appreciate the replies, the water did start to clear up after the addition of some DE powder and I'm sure that the algae was dead, but I was also losing 2-3 inches of water a day, so I drained most of the water from the pool and searched for holes in the liner, I found 4 pretty good size holes, patched them and refilled the pool. The water was beautiful, but I was still losing it pretty fast so we ended up putting in a new liner, after looking at the old liner we found probably hundreds of small holes at the bottom seam and almost no cove or sand underneath. The end result, the water is perfect, the liner is new and the cove and sand are in good shape, so hopefully, I'm good to go.
Thanks again
Mike