PDA

View Full Version : Check_In and Advice Needed

Orkalovesfood
06-06-2007, 09:33 PM
Good Evening all (good morning and good afternoon to anyone in other parts of the world).

Wanted to get your recommendation on a couple of things:

I have a 20x40 IG vinyl liner pool in SE PA 32K Gallons. I use the BBB method.

I had my wife bring some water into the Pool Store to get tested as I like to have a comparitor to when I do my own testing(with my PS233). Here are both sets of results:

PS = Pool Store
ME= Orkalovesfood

FC: PS 1.3, ME 3.0
CC: PS 1.2, ME 0.0
TC: PS 2.5, ME 3.0
PH: PS 7.3, ME 7.3
ALK: PS 10, ME 90 (I tested this with my PS233 and the HTH 5-Way)
CYA: PS 10, ME <20
Cal: PS 40, ME (I know I don't need it but I wanted to check) 130
Iron/Copper: PS 0, ME - taking their word on this

Of course they recommended 40lDs of Alk Up, 50lds of Calcium and 3lds of shock. No recommendation for CYA.

What I did was 4lds of CYA in a stocking with another 4lds in about a week depending on test results.

Now my questions:

Should I add any Sodium Bicarb or is 90 ok?, I know it will also raise PH and I am at the lower end there..

My wife said the kid testing took about 15 minutes to do so and I suspect he didn't know what he was doing hence the results. The owners of this place are pretty nice and other than charging alot for their wares seem like fair people. Do I let them know about the results vs. my testing? If I had blindly added the Alk up, I would be at about 180.

I do spend money there, and not just leech testing from them, I was thinking of bringing a sample to another place just to confirm all was right before approaching them.

Any thoughts on my results and/or the pool store tester?

Thanks!

mbar
06-07-2007, 12:27 PM
I would go by your own kit, it is more reliable that way - and all of your numbers are fine except to add the cya. I wouldn't add anything for your ph or alkalinity - see how it goes in a few days. If the alk goes much lower, then you can add a little baking soda. Other than that your pool numbers are great:)

Orkalovesfood
06-07-2007, 01:58 PM
Thanks Marie,

I took it to the other Pool Store this AM and they had my alk at 75, my calcium at 200, PH at 7.0 and TC and FC at 5.0 (added some bleach last night).

Truly scary....

Year after Year I seemt o have problems getting CYA into my pool. This is the year I get it where it needs to be!!

CarlD
06-07-2007, 03:49 PM
Orka:
Go with your numbers. A kid with test strips is a waste of time. Also, chlorine levels CAN change as the water sits in a jar. All you will do by questioning the validity of the store's test is alienate them. It's like trying to teach a pig to sing--you waste your time and only annoy the pig.

Trust your Tot Alk and LEAVE IT!

Since you have very low CYA, your FC of 3 is FINE--I don't believe you have any CC. When CYA is higher, check the Best Guess table for the ideal FC levels.

When you raise your pH with Borax, T/A will rise too--they move together.

Your plan on CYA is good--I suspect 4 lbs after it's dissolved in (takes 48 hours to a week) will be plenty.

giroup01
06-08-2007, 10:22 AM
It's like trying to teach a pig to sing--you waste your time and only annoy the pig.

LOL!! I have to say, English is not my primary language . . . but I love that expression!