PDA

View Full Version : Pool Volleyball

jcaufi
06-06-2007, 01:19 PM
I did not see a forum for pool toys so I thought I would take a chance here.

I am in the market for a Volleyball set for our above ground pool (18X33). Looking at some of the kits on the internet attaching it directly to the cap of the pool looks scary. Our pool is fully decked so my preference would be to mount it to the deck. Does anyone have any suggestions (i.e. model make)?

Has anyone retro fitted an off the self, intended for beach or lawn volleyball set for their pool? Would simply drilling a hole in the decking and inserting the poles work? Any ideas?

Regards

Islander2C
06-07-2007, 08:19 PM
Last year I bought a badminton net and attached a nylon rope on each end.
We have a 27' AG pool with deck all around. I just went from corner to corner and attached it to deck post.
Worked out great. When they were not using it, just untied and put away.
If I can find a picture I will post.
It was much much cheaper than buying a "pool" volleyball net.

NWMNMom
06-08-2007, 09:26 AM
Good idea. I thought about that too. We have a badmitten set just languishing on a shelf.

Poconos
06-08-2007, 10:24 AM
Just a thought since I never owned a volleyball net and it may be a non-issue. I'd be concerned about someone grabbing the net and either breaking the poles or ripping the net. Seems more likely in the water. How about fabricating something to mount the poles on a couple of those beefy springs that are used for mobile antenna mounts? You don't see them much on vehicles anymore other than some ham operators but up here they use them to mount fiberglass poles on fire hydrants so the hydrants can be found when covered with snow.
Al

ccostan
06-08-2007, 10:27 AM
We purchased a 2 in 1 Basketball/Volleyball set from leslies last year. The volleyball is good but the water in the base makes it hard to 'convert' to basketball. It is a nice Volley set but don't buy it for the 2 in 1 feature. It's really 1 or the other unless you want the pain of emptying and refilling the base all day.

http://www.lesliespool.com/images/us/local/products/detail/76118_dt.jpg

day1
06-11-2007, 04:53 PM
Just do as I did, go to walmart and get a regular volleyball set with regular poles and all. Now get a 5-6 foot piece of PVC (white) that's just bigger than the smaller poles that come with the set. Cut the piece of pvc in the middle and use a sledge/block of wood to pound each piece into the ground exactly opposite one another a foot or 2 outside pool wall. Then 2 people can put up or take down easily...just roll up the net. You can always pull up the pvc stakes at the end of the season if you like, but I leave mine. If you have some rigid pvc, you just need a net. I had friends that tried a flimsy badminton net, but they don't hold up to volleyballs well.