PDA

View Full Version : High stabilizer and help with chemistry please

shebert73
04-23-2006, 08:13 PM
In the last week our pool temps have jumped way up and now my chemistry's all out of whack. First of all, my stabilizer is high...is there anything I can do to bring it down other than partial draining? If my test is correct it is at around 90 to 100. Also, too low chlorine levels- 0. I just turned my production up to 50% yesterday...should I increase it even more? My pH is high...just added acid and my salt level is low. I added acid this morning. Would it hurt to throw in a gallon of bleach this afternoon and then add salt tonight (I know I'll have to set the chl to 0% for 24 hours)? I don't know if doing all this in the same day could UPSET my pool. One last question, pool temp is about 85 during the day...what should I have my production set to and how long do you think my pumps should be running per day.

Oh one more thing...how does your CYA get so high anyhow? Everything was perfect early last fall. We ran our pumps about 4 hours everyday throughout winter. I've never added anything other than bleach, acid, and about 40 pounds of salt.

Sorry so long, but I'm still a pool newbie. Thanks for all your help:)

mwsmith2
04-23-2006, 08:50 PM
Hard to give you any sort of suggestions without knowing your actual test results, or the size of your pool.

Poolsean
04-23-2006, 11:33 PM
Have you been using a granular tri chlor for shocking purposes or supplimenting with chlorine tablets? Both have stabilizer. There is other form of chlorine with stabilizer, Di-Chlor.
There's really nothing else that would increase the stabilizer levels.

shebert73
04-23-2006, 11:52 PM
Nope, haven't used either.

I added acid this morning, so my pH should be good now. I normally add a gallon every other week or so. I think I'll start adding a little acid each week instead of so much at one time. I also added a gallon of bleach, turned the SWC to 0% production, and added about 40#s of salt to reach 3.0ppm...it was at about 2.8ppm. Now I'll run the pumps for 24 hours and see what happens. It probably won't do any good to get my water "professionally" tested right now, but I might run a sample by tomorrow and see what reading comes up for my CYA. I also need to get a better test kit.

I have an Aquapure SWC - they suggest 75 for the CYA. So if thats the case, I'm not too far off. The other posts I've read were keeping their CYA at 40-50ish.

Also, any suggestions on what my chlorine production and pump time should be set to? I have yet to find a chart on this. My water temp is about 84 and I'm only running it for ~4hours each night. My production was set to 50.

Thanks again

mwsmith2
04-24-2006, 07:52 AM
Also, any suggestions on what my chlorine production and pump time should be set to?

Well, since you still have not given us any valuable information about your pool, it's anyone's guess. :confused:

Michael

shebert73
04-25-2006, 10:18 PM
See the first post. I'm not sure what else you need. I gave my stabilizer, chlorine, pH, and gallons - what else? Be easy on me - I'm new. BTW-my pH is now at 7.4 - it was at 8 or above at the time of the first post.

Thanks

shebert73
04-25-2006, 10:19 PM
OOPS...17,000 gallons