PDA

View Full Version : Salt Question

TJNav
06-03-2007, 10:04 PM
I read last year on the forum about people adding salt to the water of non SWG pools to increase comfort. I was getting close to trying it but backed off since the only way to un-do it is to drain and replace the water. My question is, doesn't the daily use of bleach ( sodium hypochlorite) add a significant amount of salt to the pool? At least over the course of a summer? I don't have a way to test for salt so have no idea where my salt levels are. Chem Geek, what say you?!?

tenax
06-03-2007, 10:28 PM
in chem's absence at the moment, here's a thread including his thoughts..

http://www.poolforum.com/pf2/showthread.php?t=4487&highlight=Salt+Bleach

i can tell you indeed bleach does add salt and a fair chunk of it. i drain my pool better than half way over winter time. i was quite surprised when i filled it up this year and tested my salt post shocking with chlorine (about 10 jugs over 3 days to get rid of any algae and start clearing it up) before i activated my autopilot chlorine generator, that my level was at 2200 ppm! i was shocked, frankly. i'm sure i had residual from my running of the chlorine generator the summer before, but between over 1/2 the pool drained and running my level last year at 3000 (versus the 3500 i'm now running it at) something brought the salt level up this spring and i'm sure it was the liquid chlorine!

TJNav
06-04-2007, 06:07 PM
Thanks. I searched around for the topic but missed it. I think my water feels good but don't really have anything to compare it to. I'd like to test it and see where my salt level sits.