PDA

View Full Version : stains around screws

boscogabby
06-03-2007, 06:54 PM
I have an inground pool with a vinyl liner with an Aquarite SWG. I recently noticed that there were brown stains around the screws that secure the skimmer opening to the pool sidewall. I removed a couple of the screws to try to remove the stain but it did'nt come off. What would cause this staining and what can I use to remove it? What is a good all around cleaner for the steps and liner to remove dirt?

tenax
06-03-2007, 07:32 PM
sounds like rust..my screws have some too..no stains around them persay aside from one little strip, but a nice rust stain goes up from my screw holding my light in. i wonder if vitamin c would take care of it given it's a good solution for "mineral" stains.

waste
06-03-2007, 07:37 PM
The screws are supposed to be stainless steel however, sometimes something goes wrong with the ~plating of them and they are vulnerable to salinated water and start to rust. Ascorbic acid will remove the stain from the faceplate - you should replace the screws with better quality stainless.
If what you're talking about is waterline 'scum' a paste of baking soda on a 'scrubbie' sponge should do the trick.